06' HSE wheel options

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PDXLR3

Reaction score
Hi- first post here. Lots of good info on this site. I am fairly new to Rovers in general but we have had our 06 HSE LR3 for about 2 years now and LOVE it. We live in the Portland area and it has been amazing handling the weather conditions heading up to the mountain.
I am needing to get some new tires and am considering getting a second set of wheels (18") to run winter tires on. Question is, will nearly any 18" rover wheel fit my HSE? Is there a difference on clearance between the HSE and other LR3? And lastly are there any other options other than rover wheels. I might just go ahead and get new tires put on the 19's but they are fairly spendy and I would rather put a good summer/performance tire on as opposed to some great winter tires. I had found a set of 18" Hurricanes from a RR that I thought might work but wanted to check what all fits. Thanks for and and all info.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi...most of us have been down this path.

Hurricanes will not fit your LR3 because the size of the hole in the middle of the rim is not big enough.

There are options other than Rover wheels....not many, but they're out there. I bought some aftermarket wheels that were discontinued (so they were cheap) from Discount tire but I do wish I'd waited and found some LR wheels because they have a beadlock built in. Now, if you want winter tires but you don't really plan on going offroad with them (just need some snow tires maybe) then the beadlock part won't matter and some aftermarket wheels will work just fine.

Many of us have went the route of getting separate rims. I'm happy with that choice myself...but not that the Goodyear MT/Rs are available in the 255/55R19 size, I sorta wish I had a duplicate set of LR3 HSE wheels!

Say, if you see another set of 19s in Portland (LR3 or RRS or LR2) for sale maybe send me a PM. I live in Seattle and I'm from Portland so I am down there often enough that I could pick 'em up. Maybe then I'd sell my 18s with Coopers fitted and put MT/Rs on that duplicate set of 19s.

PDXLR3

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I have been doing more research and came to the conclusion you provided. I appreciate your help very much. I am trying to decide now between going with the extra set of wheels and tires or go with the Goodyear MTR's (wow they are spendy). Ideally I would like to get the same setup you are running, the 18s with the coopers. May have to look to fleabay and try to pick up a set of wheels. I have been scouring c-list locally but no luck. Thank you again for your reply and I will let you know if I see some 19s for sale. I thought about swapping mine out but I do like them for summer time and the way they handle.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What tires on your 19s? The Goodyears suck. I have Michelin Synchrones on mine and I've been happy. The Coopers are great and they have taken me everywhere I've tried to go...but when I see the MT/Rs I can help but salivate. I would just run my 18s fulltime and put MT/Rs on my 19s but my 18s are just plain ugly! I bought them because they were $71 a piece not because I liked the style!

If you can wait to find LR wheels off a LR3 I would suggest that, really. I just got impatient and also the price was right.

Good luck, you're welcome for the response. ...and if you ever want to take your rig offroad let me know. There are some guys down there that I've been off the pavement with; one with an LR3 in fact that posts on this board. I pretty much suggest every LR owner take his/her rig offroad at least once...

mustbeaudi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
www.craigshelper.com - don't overlook it when shopping the c list! MTR great for offroading, but I thought you wanted snow/winter tires for one set, performance tires on the other? With 18s, more options including a few true four-season tires with the Alpine Mountain symbol for severe service (Nokian, BFG?).

PDXLR3

Reaction score
I had never seen that either. That will save me some serious time wandering around c-list.

I was thinking of looking at the michelins or pirellli's if I stick with the 19's. Anyone have any opinion on the Toyos? The guy at Schwab said they were more of a highway tire and would not do so well in the snow.

Houm Wa- what are these rims you run that are so ugly but only $71 each?

mustbeaudi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got the Toyo HT. There's an AT version, too. HT is okay, I played a bit in a snowy lot yesterday. AT tested good by Consumer Reports, but we don't go offroad so I went with the quiet, longer lasting, road tread. Scorpion ATR not good in snow or ice, it said.

Hey, I saw a full set of take-off Mickeys on a PA craigslist once. Easy and cheap enough to ship tires. Could save you a bundle.

PDXLR3

Reaction score
Good to know about the Toyo HT's. They are available right down the street at a tire shop and are fairly inexpensive. I was kind of wanting something a little better in the snow, so that was the reason for starting to look for some 18" tires but I might consider just putting a better 19" on if I can not find some 18's fairly soon. Thanks for the heads up on the Pirelli's.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM