2004 HSE missing the cross link valve

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jason

Reaction score
I have a 2004 HSE, while looking for a leak in an air line i discovered that the cross link valve is missing, you can see the mount where the 3 bolts should be and the plug is there not being used, 2 air lines are spliced and connected to the frame with a wire tie. I purchased this RR used at 70,000 miles. Has anyone heard of this?

RoverGuy7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, it is normal. The x-link valves were deleted from production as a running change in 04 (so some early 04s have them, most do not) and replaced with a inline connector. That is how the truck was sold new.

It not being there will actually make the system a little more robust, as a leak in one front spring will still allow the other to raise, where as the x-link would try to equalize pressures, and they would both be down.

The inline connector is very prone to failure, and feeds the LF spring. Battery acid gets vented, and drips down on to that connector, which will crack the plastic.

The connector does not show in the catalog for the L322, but it is in the one for the P38 as a air line repair kit, P/N STC8580.

If that is your leak, look at your battery, and battery tray. If there are signs of liquid acid coming out, replace the battery, and install a breather tube on the vent so that the does not occur again. If acid has gotten around the area, use a soap detergent to neutralize the acid, and wash it away.

Jason

Reaction score
Thank you for the info. I located the replacement coupler at a local service shop and replaced it in about 30 min. ($20.00 fix) Not one dealer in my area could answer that question but i found one service shop that knew the answer and confirmed it by looking up my vin number. Are there any more of those couplers that i should be checking for wear? I'd much rather change them now than have them go out when i'm not at home.

RoverGuy7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would keep one in the truck just in case, cheap and doesn't take up any space. There should be one in the rear as well, but I have never had an issue with it, or need to check for any reason. It's not wear that causes them to fail, the front is due to battery acid, just a bad location.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72