2014 LR4 SCV6 Dual Battery Setup

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sbmesa

Reaction score
Is anyone familiar with dual battery setups in the MY 2014 SCV6?

There is very little room in the engine compartment due to what appears to be twin air intakes. Only about enough room for a small air compressor.

1) Can one air intake be safely removed and not affect engine performance/wear?
2) Are there any alternate locations for battery placement given a third row configuration with A/C?
3) Other suggestions?

Uses for the second battery are as follows:
-Onboard air
-refrigerator
-HAM Radio
-Camp lighting

I have a separate Goal Zero 400 but would like an integrated application if possible to handle this.

Many thanks for your input.

epiclr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is anyone familiar with dual battery setups in the MY 2014 SCV6?

There is very little room in the engine compartment due to what appears to be twin air intakes. Only about enough room for a small air compressor.

1) Can one air intake be safely removed and not affect engine performance/wear?
2) Are there any alternate locations for battery placement given a third row configuration with A/C?
3) Other suggestions?

Uses for the second battery are as follows:
-Onboard air
-refrigerator
-HAM Radio
-Camp lighting

I have a separate Goal Zero 400 but would like an integrated application if possible to handle this.

Many thanks for your input.

sbmesa welcome to the forum.

As for a 2nd battery under the hood I have tried to come up with a methodology to fit one there but have been unable to do so. The location usually used by the 5.0 engine guys is taken up with a small battery and the electronics needed for the auto start/stop. Only other location seems to be behind the passenger head light but it is a small space.

I personally have decided the best option is an GoalZero type unit or ArkPak with an Andersen plug to the back of the vehicle.

I look forward to if you are able to come up with a better solution.

NASdiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What about fitting a smaller than full size battery? If the 5.0 compartment is taken up, couldn't you buy the charger setup and find something to fit a smaller sized setup. Will depend on what you plan to power, but if just doing a fridge for instance, you could get something much, much smaller.

Start with some measurements:
http://www.odysseybattery.com/extreme_battery_specs.aspx

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99