2016 cost for replacement engine SCV6

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jjvd21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have a ballpark on how much a replacement engine job would cost on a 2016? I’m looking for best guess on cost of actual engine plus labor. Thanks.

scott schmerge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have a ballpark on how much a replacement engine job would cost on a 2016? I’m looking for best guess on cost of actual engine plus labor. Thanks.

my understanding is the engine is about $10k plus cost of labor. I don’t know book time for the job but would guess it’s at least a 20-30 hour job.

jjvd21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you don't mind telling us, what killed the engine?

I should have specified - my 2016 is perfectly fine. I found another with a bad engine and wondered what it would cost for replacement.

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I should have specified - my 2016 is perfectly fine. I found another with a bad engine and wondered what it would cost for replacement.

I see. Good luck! Please share whatever information you do find. I'm sure others would like to know.

I wonder what makes the current engine bad? It might be able to be pulled and repaired/reconditioned obviously for a lot less than a new(er) one.

Troy A

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just had this conversation with my Indy mechanic who was putting a new engine into a vehicle that had been poorly maintained. It was about $15K all in. I think the engine was a refurb and not brand new though. That was in California at an independent shop.

Based on the many threads in this forum about engine replacement costs because of the coolant crossover issue, I've always assumed it was a $15K-$25K deal all in.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've always assumed it was a $15K-$25K deal all in.

As of this moment in time, I would pay that to keep my LR4 rolling along. Granted, I'd rename it "Lazarus" for good karma. But stacking that amount up against getting another, lesser (IMO) vehicle, it would be worth it.

LB Bill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my 2016 is perfectly fine. I found another with a bad engine
Whew! But those of us w the SCV6, particularly 2016's can't help but wonder about the 'autopsy' on the bad one if/when you have an idea ?

jjvd21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Floodwater ingestion into the engine.

nymoto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2011 had its engine replaced by the dealer for $27k at 77,000 miles. No, I did not pay for it and either did the previous owner as the dealer covered it from what I was told. I confirmed it with the dealer, and bought the truck with 500 miles on the new engine.

Of course that’s retail at a dealer, a disgruntled one at that.

- AG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV