92 lower steering shaft replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jholewka

Reaction score
OK, so yesterday I replaced the plugs after the seafoam treatment, and noticed the lower steering shaft rubber coupling is dry-rotted and a piece broken off. I already ordered the new shaft assy and looking at the job it looks straight forward, then I looked in the workshop manual I found a caution that the steering wheel has to be removed in order to prvent damage to the cruise control spiral, and of course the steering wheel removal section says to remove the spiral. Am I not getting this or what. Removing the shaft and replacing it, will (could) damage the spiral by not being touched at all??? Or is this just typical british fashion to disconnect everything before working on the fault, like make sure to disconnect the battery before checking the air in the tyres. So should I follow my instincts or the book?
Jim

Last edited:

jholewka

Reaction score
Well I got the new shaft in yesterday, without removeing the steering wheel, with out removing the cc spiral. I also did not have to remove the air filter housing and the airflow meter as the workshop manual stated. But I did disconnect the negitive lead on the battery...well I did check the tyre pressure too :) The steering is nice and tight again, and I may adjust the steering box every so slightly because maybe it's just a little bit too tight. A little more road testing to be sure. Oh yea, I did lock the steering wheel in place just in case. So instinct and common sense won out over the ws manual again......yea! So I guess from the lack of responses my original question was either so stupid or no one had ever done this job and had nothing to input, well at least we all now know it can be done, but be careful, and when in doubt, take it all apart.. Now I can concentrate on why the cd changer skips so much lately.
Jim
92 RRC
97 Disco

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM