Back in Action! Seized Engine Replaced

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Arman

Reaction score
I just had a timing chain done by my friend. New tensioners, chain, water pump, injectors, spark plugs, radiator, and starter. It still seems loud, like the chain is slapping. I know he put the new guides on. Any ideas?
Check your serpentine belt (or belts if SCV6) idler pulleys, there are three on the primary belt (one on tensioner and two on the top between alternator and water pump) and they rattle making "diesel like" noises when worn that many confuse with timing chain noises. Takes ~5min to check (just remove the belt and check pulleys for rattle). Tensioner pulleys can be replaced without needing to replace the whole tensioner and are ~$20 each (primary - LR035546, pulley only - Febest 2987-DIV; supercharger - LR039517, pulley only - Febest 2987-RRS), and main idler pulleys are ~$60 (primary - LR106769, LR039516, supercharger - LR035545). Everything take less than an hour to replace.
Also supercharger worn coupler makes similar noises, easy to rule out by removing supercharger belt. Coupler is ~$20-80, and I'd replace SC oil too which is ~$20-40

Last edited:

Joeyrc76

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing @TrinidadLR4 I cringe the day that happens to my truck but I know it is inevitable. Mine is 2005 and has over 215k miles. I have been contemplating whether or not I would replace the engine or get a new one if it goes.

equalizer

Reaction score
Check your serpentine belt (or belts if SCV6) idler pulleys, there are two on the primary belt (one on tensioner and one on the top between alternator and steering pump) and they rattle making "diesel like" noises when worn that many confuse with timing chain noises. Takes ~5min to check (just remove the belt and check pulleys for rattle). Tensioner pulleys can be replaced without needing to replace the whole tensioner and are ~$20 each (primary - LR035546, secondary - LR039517), and main idler pulleys are ~$60 (primary - LR106769, secondary - LR035545). Everything take less than an hour to replace.

Wow this is useful info. I did a search in the forum and it seems this is the first time these part numbers are mentioned. Thanks!

Newbie question: I have a SCV6 and I'd like to "just remove the beltS and check pulleys for rattle". Any advice on how to proceed? Tools required to slip the belt out safely without damaging it, tools/tips to put it back (I guess there is some tensioner to disengage/engage"?)

Paul Teague

Reaction score
Have ya'll heard a bad timing chain in person?

I would not describe it as "diesel", but more of a rythmic "thunk, thunk, thunk,". Now that I have heard one, I would not mistake any other sound for it. My LR tech had me come listen to a RRS that he was about to tear into to replace them. He knew to call me because I had brought up the issue at a previous visit.

I get the "diesel" description. Mine puts out a similar sound, but it is not the chains. Had those done less than 1,000 miles ago. These things are noisy. Among other items, you have injectors, HPFP and fan clutch that can all raise a ruckus.
I haven't heard a timing chain in person. Thank you for the description, it helps my sanity. I have new injectors. I'm not sure what a HPFP is, and I will talk to my mechanic about the fan clutch.

wallyyfm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fan clutch is a very noticeable slow tick, maybe every second or two. Sounds like a fan tip hitting almost.

Arman

Reaction score
Wow this is useful info. I did a search in the forum and it seems this is the first time these part numbers are mentioned. Thanks!

Newbie question: I have a SCV6 and I'd like to "just remove the beltS and check pulleys for rattle". Any advice on how to proceed? Tools required to slip the belt out safely without damaging it, tools/tips to put it back (I guess there is some tensioner to disengage/engage"?)
Part numbers change all the time, and this might also be not a very common problem (or at least the problem that no one really cares about because how minor it is until this youtube video happens).
Please find the shop manual for 2014-2016 LR4 SDV6 and SCV6 here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1B0jdD-ebSWTXU1t337RpMg-eTrc-ogdd/view?usp=sharing
It is a simple process (page 2325 in the manual) - only need a ratchet (i don't remember 1/2" or 3/8"... I think it's 3/8?). You don't have to remove a fan if you don't plan to remove/replace the primary belt. If you want to replace belt too, then need special tools for fan removal. The supercharger belt can be fully removed and replaced without fan removal.

Here is example of fan clutch ticking: https://www.landroverworld.org/threads/lr4-scv6-engine-noise-and-fan-problems.41643/
I also edited my post above for more clarity and added part numbers for tensioner pulleys (instead of buying whole new tensioner)

Last edited:

JLR SERVICE

Reaction score
I just had a timing chain done by my friend. New tensioners, chain, water pump, injectors, spark plugs, radiator, and starter. It still seems loud, like the chain is slapping. I know he put the new guides on. Any ideas?
I am new to this forum and on reading the timing chain subject posts, I have noticed that there is no mention of the oil pump/fuel pump drive chain. My shop had replaced the main chains and tensioners on at least 200 vehicles. Out of those, we have found a few that the spring, which is part of the tensioner for the lower chain, was broken and the chain slaps around like crazy. Fortunately, with a little finesse you can replace that tensioner in position, "before" you replace the 2 main chains. My suggestion is always check this when servicing this area on the engine. BJ.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA