Back up camera

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lr4peachy

Reaction score
Hi All,
I am a new owner of a 2010 LR4 with Navigation and want to add a back-up camera. Can I buy the OEM camera from a salvage yard and "plug and play" into existing wiring in the license plate holder?

oclr4

Reaction score
I have a 2012 with the factory back up camera. I don't find it useful because it takes at least 8 seconds for it to engage and I don't wait around for it to activate.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have found that if I start my LR4, wait a few seconds for the radio/nav to go through its start up procedure, and then throw the transmission in reverse, the backup camera pops up almost right away.

However, if I start my LR4 and then immediately shift into reverse, the backup camera is a bit more delayed as it seems the radio/nav isn't "prepared" for it yet.

As I have a habit of waiting a few seconds after starting to drive anywhere (a habit I developed driving older cars where you want the oil to circulate through the engine before tasking it with anything), it's never really an issue with me.

jaguardoc504

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi All,
I am a new owner of a 2010 LR4 with Navigation and want to add a back-up camera. Can I buy the OEM camera from a salvage yard and "plug and play" into existing wiring in the license plate holder?

Aside from the delay of the camera activation...
The camera is not plug and play. There are two modules that have to be updated by the dealer, and another one that has to be added. The vehicle wiring harness may also be slightly different, as typically vehicles equipped with the back up cameras we higher optioned vehicles that required additional plus and wiring on the factory harness.

However, there are many aftermarket options, and some that can even tie into the existing video screen.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflint2112