Can smell gas through vents on startup

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

codemunky

Reaction score
I have an 06 LR3. Whenever I start it from a cold start WITH THE FAN ON, I can smell fumes through the vents. This only happens with the vents open (eco button off). After a minute or 2, it disappears. Anybody have a solution?

Thanks!

Matthewwrn

Reaction score
My 06 LR3 has the same issue, more so when it is cold outside as well. I have researched and from what I have found, it may be the o-rings on the fuel rail. When the engine is cold the o-rings may not be working properly until the engine warms up and they spread out a bit. New O-rings should fix this issue but of course I have not done it yet either. I guess because it really only happens in the winter for me.

djkronik57

Reaction score
I had this happen to me. Take off your plastic engine cover and you'll probably see and smell gas. The o rings for the fuel pipe had failed and gas was dripping onto the top of the engine, specifically the rear driver's side where it connects to the fuel rail. Not a safe situation!

The entire pipe had to be replaced since the o rings are not available separately and it wasn't cheap. The mechanic said temperature swings cause it and he sees it fairly often on these engines.

I would try to limit your driving until you can get it looked at. An engine fire would not be fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM