Colored markings on new tires explained

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a stack of new Continental TerrainContact A/Ts next to my LR4 in the garage. They're being mounted/balanced on Monday. I still have about 10% buyer's remorse that I didn't go with Nokian WRG3s, but have to admit I'm looking forward to the aesthetics of the new beefier Contis.

I may be the only one who ever wondered about the various dots and stripes painted on new tires, but this document satisfied my curiosity.

Tyre Colour Markings Explained - Team-BHP https://www.team-bhp.com/.../1086246d1369156719-yellow-red-dots-tyre-sidewalls-tyr...

BrandonM7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a stack of new Continental TerrainContact A/Ts next to my LR4 in the garage. They're being mounted/balanced on Monday. I still have about 10% buyer's remorse that I didn't go with Nokian WRG3s, but have to admit I'm looking forward to the aesthetics of the new beefier Contis.

I may be the only one who ever wondered about the various dots and stripes painted on new tires, but this document satisfied my curiosity.

Tyre Colour Markings Explained - Team-BHP https://www.team-bhp.com/.../1086246d1369156719-yellow-red-dots-tyre-sidewalls-tyr...

Cool - I look forward to feedback on the tires. I have a friend that put them on his wife's big Infiniti (can't remember the model - the huge ugly SUV) and he can't say enough good stuff about them. He's in rural New Jersey - not sure if he's seen snow with them yet, but he encounters mild mud and rain a good bit (unpaved driveway) and so far he's a big fan.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a friend that put them on his wife's big Infiniti (can't remember the model - the huge ugly SUV) and he can't say enough good stuff about them.

Ha! "the huge ugly SUV" I know which model you're talking about.

That's good to know. I read one owner review here on the forum that was negative but everything else I've heard about these tires has been consistently positive. I'm using a standard size (255/55/R19) on OEM rims and I don't expect to press the tires too much with my driving patterns (mostly road, seasonal snow, a bit of wooded trails but no rock crawling or Moab expeditions expected).

I have an appointment at my indy tomorrow (Monday) and they are already loaded into the LR4. Didn't even have to put my middle row of seats down. Another nod to the cargo space in these vehicles.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bq2gfUgFacL/

Bq2gfUgFacL

kdegLR4

Reaction score
I'm running 19s and love the tires so far. nice and quiet, good bite on gravel and dirt, no hydroplaning. Haven't had them in snow yet, but next week's forecast gives it a chance. I will pull them for dedicated ice/snow studies later in the month regardless, but I highly recommend them.

Parker Freeland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just went through a minor blizzard for a 10 mile stretch on Hwy 93 to Boulder with 6-7 inches of snow on the road. All the passenger cars and a few common SUV's were running at around 5mph with their flashers on. They were all bunched together in a collective ”Oh ****" mode and struggling to get traction. My 2013 LR4 HD with the TerrainContact A/T's had no problem getting through. It was amazing! Safely passed about 15 on the way up and about 20 on the way back to Denver. Not cocky but confident!

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2013 LR4 HD with the TerrainContact A/T's had no problem getting through.

Nice. Also good to hear because we rarely have big snow events in DC but when it does snow, people around here flake out. I learned to drive in snowy conditions in WV and brought that experience to DC with me so I am constantly amazed at what I see here. I have no plans to mount dedicated snow tires for the winter.

The TerrainContacts go on this morning and there's a snowflake in the forecast later this week. I hope we get pounded! (unlikely, but it would be fun).

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haven't had them in snow yet, but next week's forecast gives it a chance. I will pull them for dedicated ice/snow studies later in the month regardless, but I highly recommend them.

Thanks for the input.

Do you leave room for the possibility that the Conti's will do fine in snow and not require dedicated winter tires? Or are you talking about extreme conditions or an extended season where you live or travel? Just curious.

It seemed that any strong mention of snow performance was conspicuously absent from the official Continental marketing materials that I saw. I am pretty sure that they are M+S rated (mud and snow) but I know that they don't have the mountain/snowflake symbols like the Nokian WRG3's for example. I'm wondering if the tread pattern will make up for the different rubber compound between the Conti and the Nokian.

kdegLR4

Reaction score
Thanks for the input.

Do you leave room for the possibility that the Conti's will do fine in snow and not require dedicated winter tires? Or are you talking about extreme conditions or an extended season where you live or travel? Just curious.

We will end up skiing 10-20 days this year, so I figure that's enough dedicated time on snow and ice to justify full-on ice tires. Plus PDX likes its ice storm events, and I need to be able to get to work. Had the Michelin studless on the last two years and managed well...

Parker Freeland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They might not have a snowflake on the sidewall but based on last night's experience, I would say they are great in the snow. I've owned four different 4 x 4's here in Colorado with different A/T's and the combination of the LR4 and these tires are by far the best that I have experienced in snowy conditions.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9