Coolant Leak - Easy Fix - Check Yours!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

loniewskyr

Reaction score
Awesome...Thanks!

So this was the perfect answer to my coolant issue and resolved the hardest part...finding the problem. Now my question is, where can I find the replacement T? Do I need a Land Rover part, or will any R1/4" do the trick?

More importantly, can I switch to a metal T to prevent this in the future?

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
can purchase the tee separately now

The Land Rover genuine Tee is now available separate from the hose assembly as Land Rover part number LR027661; the complete hose assembly is Land Rover part number LR006158 where in all cases, the 0 is a zero.

And, yes you could install your version of the Tee with nominal 1/4" brass fittings, however with the factory plastic Tee now available separately, I would tend to use that as it slips into the hoses better.

While you are replacing aged plastic bits, you might consider replacing the whole thermostat housing. It costs about one hundred and fifty dollars and includes a "free" thermostat. The part number is LR005631.

loniewskyr

Reaction score
Thanks buyer,

So I went over to NAPA and he hooked me up with this set up...for $6. He brought the price down significantly, should've been 12.

Funny thing, when I replaced it, noticed steam from the thermostat housing, so went ahead and bought it...good call.

When I looked at the price of the thermostat and ring compared to the $105 to replace the whole deal it was a pretty easy decision.

Is it a pretty simple job? Do I need any specific coolant when dealing with a Land Rover?

Attachments

• IMG_3669.jpg
    IMG_3669.jpg
    572.4 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_3681.JPG
    IMG_3681.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 101

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Havoline XLC, the orange coloured fluid.

Yes, when I looked at the price of a thermostat and worse, how many pieces seem involved, a whole new housing was a no brainer - how LR can make something so complicated but I guess it has something to do with warming up the alloy block quickly and keeping fluid flowing when the thermostat is closed, the reason for all the small hoses in the cooling system that to us seem there just to trap air.

Re coolant concerns, go to posts #13 and #21 in the link below and see my comments. There are other posts within as well related to the coolant.

There is a jpg attachment re the LR approved Texaco/Chevron Havoline XLC coolant. The LR accepted coolant seems to be usually Orange coloured for what that is worth.

As with all things LR, there is never a simple answer. The thing to remember is that there is a lot of aluminum and other various alloys within the block. Protecting the radiator from corrosion is a minor consideration relative to the block - cast iron it is not.

http://www.lrrforums.com/showthread.php?18198-How-To-Replace-your-Thermostat/page2

whydahdvr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hope the replacement plastic bits don't fail like the OE parts did.

thorgal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My local dealer sells ZEREX DEX-COOL , when they run out of OEM Extended life fluid.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disco2TrailEdit4