Cut bait or stick with this RR?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

F

Friar93

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm totally new, but need advice.

I recently purchase a used RR over a higher priced X5 or the like. I get a very good deal but I negotiate I will buy ONLY upon full inspection and any issues fixed(and the 90 day warranty in MA), and I budget a good amount for extra yearly maint costs for the Rover:

1) before pick-up my non-Land Rover dealer drops $2K(I ask for invoice copy for records) to fix everything at the Land Rover dealer including the air suspension pump and bladder and some sensors, etc
2) 2 weeks later a check engine light and the dealer drops another $1,800 at Land Rover for a new 4th cyl. coil, wires, etc
3) a month later the car is now having air bag fault and some leak that's dripping fluid just behind the front Pass wheel fixed, paid by my dealer.

Q: my 90 day warranty is about up and I havent spent a dime on maint yet. Is this RR a mess and I should walk/run now or should I assume most everything been worked out and I'm back on track for my ownership?

FYI: most of the issues were explained by Land Rover as b/c it was sitting too long. The car body/interior appears immaculate, single owner 2000 4.0SE, 65K miles, supposedly traded by older driver cant confirm but I can tell it was not abused(engine bay and under carriage totally dirt/mud/ding free and not from a recent cleaning so I dont think ever offroad, etc)

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Two questions:

Can you work on the vehicle yourself?

Do you have the time and a place to work on it yourself?

If no to both, then it is up to you. the LR dealer will charge you an arm and a leg for basic stuff you can do for a whole lot less. You may even find a good mechanic to work on it for you a lot cheaper if issues arise.

On my '97 Disco I do 90% of the maintenance and have had no major issues, but I also do a lot of scheduled maintenance (i.e. I make sure everything works as it should, leaks I don't worry to much about, but issues I fix ASAP)

If you can work on it or know a good mechanic keep it and it will serve you well. If you can't do either, sell it.

F

Friar93

Thanks...

I'm not a stranger to a wrench but I have a couple other cars, kids and limited time. I think I'll find a decent non-dealer mechanic and I'm willing to pay for most work.

I'm more concerned that this RR is just showing that its not been cared for and/or is going to be conistantly problematic. OR, are these acceptable issues that can be explained away by the fact that the cars been sitting and I shouldnt consider this RR a lemon?

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
It could be from just sitting, just about any vehicle with modern electrics that hasn't been used much will have issues.

Just keep in mind the LR products are still hand build and have a personality of their own. No two vehicles will be the same if driven the same... kind of like a new family member.

healey1006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The problem with Range Rovers, and all recent Land Rovers for that matter, is that they have gotten electronically very complicated and unfortunately, they are built by Land Rover, not Lexus. This means that they are much more prone to problems than your average vehicle and even if you are mechanically inclined, you may not have the equipment or knowledge required to fix them. That's ok if you have deep pockets. Otherwise, Land Rovers are not for you. Having said that, I have seen quite a few Land Rovers have more problems in their first 75,000 miles than in their second 75,000. It seems that sometimes even if they are well cared for, there are some initial teething problems, after which they are great vehicles. Yours may be one of these. I personally would keep it, but I've had a few of these and have developed a tolerance for Land Rover problems.

Last edited:
F

Friar93

Thanks all,

the Rover is running great except that I occasionally get an air suspension fault when the weather gets really cold 8 or 10 degrees F. It seems to be fine once the car warms and if I stop for gas or something and start back up the fault goes away.

so now that I'm keeping it, what do you guys think of the warranties that are out there? For $2,000 I can add a 2 year 20K mile warranty......supposedly a very good one that will cover the expensive repairs and not one of the ones with all kinds of disclaimers.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Set 2k aside and see if you need it. Don't waste the money on a warranty.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM