Daytime Running Lamps (DRL)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

timbersolve

Reaction score
My new LR4 is scheduled for service next week to add the voice control software back and check the 10 degree difference on the ambient outside temp showing in the driver info display. While it's there I was thinking about having them enable the Daytime Running Lamps. Before I do I was wondering about the PROs and CONs. Right now I just click the switch to the 2nd position to turn on the signature LEDs and parking lamps. The owners manual says this:

WIth the main lighting control in the Off
position (1), low beam headlamps, side lamps,
tail, license plate lamps and, where fitted, side
marker lamps, will switch on automatically
under the following conditions:
• The ignition is on.
• The gear selector is out of Park (P).
• The parking brake is not applied (is
released) - market dependent

So, it sounds like what I will get is everything lit like it is when the switch is in the 3rd position (including the HID low beams). I really don't want the low beam lights on because it will probably reduce their life span - correct? I also wonder why the DRL function would not work if the switch in in the auto-on position (4th click)? :confused:

If you have DRL enabled... how does it work for you... do you like it?

Cheers!

baobay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have DRL enabled. I like it bc there are a lot of cloudy and foggy days where I live and it is a safety issue more than an esthetic issue for me. When you have the lights on (position 4), the side lamps will not go off when you lock the car and they will drain the battery. i don't know why LR did that. Having the lights go on all the time will reduce their life span. For me safety is more important than reducing the life span of the lights.
I hope this helps.

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have DRL enabled. I like it bc there are a lot of cloudy and foggy days where I live and it is a safety issue more than an esthetic issue for me. When you have the lights on (position 4), the side lamps will not go off when you lock the car and they will drain the battery. i don't know why LR did that. Having the lights go on all the time will reduce their life span. For me safety is more important than reducing the life span of the lights.
I hope this helps.

All EU cars have that side-lamp (safety) feature and yes, if left that way for a long time, the battery will drain, but not that quickly. If you're parking on a narrow path in England for example, in the deep fog, you would leave your side-markers on, so your car won't get hit from behind, passing cars. Some cars, BMW and Mercs, have this feature but only one side of the car markers remain on. And it all depends on the year - older Mercs it was on the dial, my wife's BMW, you just flip the blinker stalk, after the car is turned off, and depending on which side you choose, the side-markets will remain on.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99