Dim Center Instrument Display

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Red Landie

Reaction score
WOW!! You stuck gold with that pdf illustration of the ambient light sensor. I think we're finally getting somewhere! When I shined a flashlight directly at the location of the sensor, the center display backlit correctly like it used to......before the SUV was detailed. The plastic lens for the instrumentation visually looks clear and flawless. Still, I tried cleaning it myself with lens cleaner. Could the detailer have used some product that inhibits the passing of photons through it? I'm afraid to try something too aggressive on the plastic lens for fear of damaging it.

Frank8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2016 doesn’t have the ambient light sensor as shown in PDF.

Is it somewhere else?

Frank

Frank8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2016 doesn’t have the ambient light sensor as shown in PDF.

Is it somewhere else?

Frank

Using the penlight trick I discovered that the turn-signal areas (7 and 14 on the PDF) are ambient light sensors on my ‘16.

HOWEVER, after blasting them a few times with a penlight the lights are now stuck in full bright and the dimmer control doesn’t work.

I shut the engine off and will try later.

I have a IID tool but I’m sort of hesitant to use it. Afraid of screwing something up

Frank

Frank8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, after an hour or so I turned it back on and everything works ok now. If I block the ambient light to the turn signal indicators the dash lights and nav dims.

I would love to make them brighter permanently. Old eyes, ya know.

Red Landie

Reaction score
Everything is beginning to make sense now. The problem started immediately after the detailer finished working on the vehicle. TheWidup really homed in on the problem. There must be something that was applied to the plastic lens that is inhibiting light from passing through it. I currently have a call out to the detailer. This problem has stumped both my independent mechanic and the dealership. Ultimately, I think we need to get in contact with the manufacturer of whatever he applied to the lens and find a safe agent to remove it.

Ian Gault

Reaction score
I have a 2008 LR3 and a 2013 RR Sport Supercharged. I had both detailed yesterday for the first time in about 6 months and today I experienced this problem on the RR. Really dim when i was out for a while earlier. But I read the pdf, wiped the binnacle cover and it seems fine now. First time I have experienced this. (The LR3 doesn't have this issue as the gauges are analogue).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV