Door Trim Removal (Exterior)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

aragno

Reaction score
On all doors there is plastic trim on the exterior of the door at the bottom. It is approx 6 inches (16cm) wide and runs the length of the door in a horizontal direction. I can see on the drivers side it has come unclipped. It is now only connected on one end. You cannot tap it into place because it is designed to line up in a hole, then move sideways to remain secured.

Is it safe to just hit this with a rubber mallet or similar to knock it loose and reattach?

is this even clear or am I rambling?

trouguex

Reaction score
I would recommend stopping by the dealership and picking up all new clips otherwise it will just pop off again. I think there are 14 of them and I think they were about 2.50 each. 35.00 is a whole lot cheaper than replacing the entire moulding when it comes off going down the highway and someone runs over it.

aragno

Reaction score
Thanks for the heads-up. I can see that none of the clips are actually broken... just simply not attached.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmm....mine has popped off a few times (off-roading) and I just pounded it back on. I was supposed to move it sideways? Oops...

kymman

Reaction score
Need instructions for DIY

Hello;

I too have the outside lower door trim fall off. I try to fit the large end black ****** into the door hole and pound on it so the white/yellow little clips through out the middle of the trim attaches. I assume it should have a clicking sound that they have engaged to hold the trim in place but it does not. the trim just is loose and not tight. Do I need to move it sideways? or do I need to replace all the white/yellow clips?

thanks
Kymman

kymman

Reaction score
So do I need to shift it sideways?

Hi Trouguex

OK, Do I need to shift the trim sideways? or can I just pound it in after I replace the clips?

trm2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine came off one door when I whacked a snowbank with the door (when closing it). I pounded it back in with the palm of my hand. I listened for the "pop" on each clip. This was 4 years ago. No problems since.

I also overloaded my truck a couple months ago with a door open (a different door). The door lodged on a cement wall. I couldn't raise the truck with the door open (stupid design) and couldn't close the door. So I pulled the door shut, detaching the molding as I did it. I got the door shut, and followed the procedure above. No problems since.

trouguex

Reaction score
When you get the new clips they come as one piece. You remove all the female peices from the door. Once the door is clean install the whole new clips into the moulding, line it up and pop it into position. You shouldn't have to slide anything into position.

voltaire1102

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My wife had a habit of kicking the passenger side off when you would get out of the truck. I would pop it back on every time until the clips were worn out. I then bought some epoxy from Walmart and bonded it back in place and have not had a problem since. If you do this, be sure to let it sit overnight.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635