Feul pump issue on 2017 Discovery

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tim Beard

Reaction score
I've owned my discovery for less than a year and have already had this issue twice. First incident I was going to get gas as my low fuel light was on. While driving, the car shut down with a gearbox fault message. Dealer said that even though there was still 19 miles to empty, the low fuel caused the fuel pump to fail. Fortunately, they replaced it at no cost to us. Last week, the same thing happened again. 30 miles to empty and it just shut down with the same fault. I put fuel in it and the check engine light eventually went off and it seems to be running fine. Had anyone else experienced this? I've never owned a car where the fuel pump needed to be replaced if the fuel level got too low. I won't own this one for long if it's a common occurrence with the brand. Any feedback here would help. Thanks!

Rover Range

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Low fuel levels will cause the pump to run hot.
Your vehicle has a "saddle type" fuel tank. So, fuel is siphoned out from the left side and dumped into the right side.
The fuel pump is on the right side.
When the fuel level is low, the fuel sloshing around can cause the pump to cavitate.

Best thing to do is not run it so low on fuel.

coolusername

Reaction score
Just had this happen on my 2016 LR4. I’ve owned a lot of vehicles and have never had a check engine light come on when the fuel gets below the 1/4 mark. Checks the codes and was real worried to see it was fuel pressure related with only 60k miles. Almost had the dealership dig into it but fueled up and the light went away when I was driving to the dealership for an oil change. Will be fueling before the 1/4 mark from now on. Good luck!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72