Front left brake grinding noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Crunchy When Wet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So after a very muddy week at work my front left brake was grinding. I figured mud or a rock had got in the brakes, so after doing the normal drive forward and then reverse to free obstructions it did not go away, so I took the wheel off, visually inspected and noticed the backing had come off the back of the pad (thin piece of metal)on the outside, so I removed it and tossed it, put everything back together, to my surprise the grinding noise was back with a vengence. It sounds as though something is rubbing against the piece of metal that is behind the brake rotor, but I could see nothing in there.

Suggestions?

Crunchy When Wet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think it's the bearing, and the sound I'm hearing is the brake rotor rubbing the metal on the inside, anyone know what size the wheel nut is?

howardduff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe it is a 22mm and requires a 200 nm torque. If you jack up the car and pull on the tire and it wobbles you have a bad wheel bearing. It isn't a real easy repair but do able if you have a long breaker bar and a torque wrench. Don't try to buy just the bearings, buy the complete housing with wheel studs. Getting the housing out will probably destroy the housing. Good luck. There should be a post with more information if you search for front wheel bearing problems instead of break problems.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think all you did was bend the metal brake shield. On the inside of the rotor you will see the scoring it is making on the inside of the rotor. Just bend it back....and post some pictures of your off roading :)

Crunchy When Wet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought about removing the metal shield all together, does it serve a purpose other than catching rocks?

billj214

Reaction score
Yes just bend brake shield or in rare cases if your sway bar link breaks it will rub on turns. Had this happen to me.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your sway bar end link broke? Just curious, was one of your air shocks worn out at the time of that incident?

billj214

Reaction score
The shocks were 5+ years old but I never could tell if they were good or bad with the air suspension.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Staff online

• joey
    Custom Rover Accessories

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM