G4 vs. Camel Trophy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

S

slappy

What is the difference between these two vehicles? What years did they make them? Which is cooler?

tmiller1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
slappy said:
What is the difference between these two vehicles? What years did they make them? Which is cooler?
The G4 vehicle line-up covers all of the Land Rover vehicles from the 2003 model year (Freelander, Discovery, Defender, Range Rover). The Camel Trophy is only the Discovery from older model year(s) (but I can't recall the model years off the top of my head - sorry).

The "which is cooler" question is obviously subjective. Personally, I think the Camel Trophy Discovery looks much more rugged/tougher. If this is what you think is "cool", then the Camel Trophy Discovery is much cooler. If what you think is cool covers technologically advanced vehicles, then the cooler choice is the G4 Challenge edition.

:cool:

Slam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Question: Are these models more expensive, more advanced, or just more rare... Interesting

tmiller1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Slam said:
Question: Are these models more expensive, more advanced, or just more rare... Interesting
I would think all of the above... (especially the more expensive part).

I know that you can buy a G4 edition from the dealer, but that it only has some of the G4 "look", not nearly all of the mods that the true G4 Challenge vehicles had.

I have seen 2 or 3 Camel Trophy models in Northern Utah, but I am not sure if they just look like the true Camel Trophy vehicles or if they have the same mods as well.

Moose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The G4 vehicle line-up covers all of the Land Rover vehicles from the 2003 model year (Freelander, Discovery, Defender, Range Rover). The Camel Trophy is only the Discovery from older model year(s) (but I can't recall the model years off the top of my head - sorry).

...snip...
Actually, around the early 1990's there were Range Rovers in the Camel Trophy, and I'm pretty sure (although I can't find it anywhere on a quick look) that in about 98 or 99 (maybe later) there were Freelanders.

Your central point remains, though -- and IMHO Camel Trophy Discos blow away any of the G4/Trek edition trucks. That Sandglow Yellow is soooooo cool, compared to the orange. :cool:

Andy

tmiller1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also saw that there were more vehicles than I thought (from andyb's link).

I stand corrected in a big way....

Used in the Camel Trophy:
1980 Jeep
1981 Range Rover 2-dr.
1982 Range Rover 2-dr.
1983 Series III 88"
1984 Land Rover One-Ten
1985 Land Rover Ninety
1986 Land Rover Ninety
1987 Range Rover TD
1988 Land Rover One-Ten
1989 Land Rover One-Ten
1990 200 tdi Discovery 3-dr.
1991 200 tdi Discovery 5-dr.
1992 200 tdi Discovery 5-dr.
1993 200 tdi Discovery 5-dr.
1994 200 tdi Discovery 5-dr.
1995 300 tdi Discovery 5-dr.
1996 300 tdi Discovery 5-dr.
1997 300 tdi Discovery 5-dr.
1998 Freelander

The site that andyb pointed us to is a very information packed site. Tons of other info available.

Moose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
tmiller1 said:
...snip...

I have seen 2 or 3 Camel Trophy models in Northern Utah, but I am not sure if they just look like the true Camel Trophy vehicles or if they have the same mods as well.
AFAIK, CT Discos are pretty much the same as those in the competition, except for the following:

1. Internal roll cage
  2. TDi (not an option in the US, at least)
  3. Factory snorkel
  4. Larger fuel tank (???)
  5. Waterproof seat covers if not waterproof seats
  6. No rear seats
  7. 5-speed manual tranny
  8. Special HD bumper with winch
  9. Roof rack integrated into the roll cage
  10. Thin (215/70R16) tires
  11. MT tires (???)
  12. 110 wheels (no chromed Tornado alloys! :biggrin: )
There may be more, but you get the point. With a dealer-obtained CT Disco, you're paying a lot for yellow paint, some stickers, and a black roof rack. You're still thousands of dollars from actually owning a quasi-competitive CT vehicle.

Moose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From the link andyb posted:
Q: How do Camels differ from regular Discoverys?
A: For a fuller explanation, see the
specifications page.
(Basically, sand-coloured bodywork, rollcage-mounted roofrack, uprated chassis, 6-point internal rollcage, modified sunvisors, no internal grab-handles, no harmonic balancer, no catalytic converter, no airbags, modified rear wheel-arches, rear electric windows, black anti-reflective bonnet panel, internal and external winch-control sockets, body-mounted rear lampguards, cut-out in rear bumper for tow jaw, bush wires leading from roofrack to bullbar, snorkel, steering guard, tank guard, front & rear towing jaws, heavy-duty bullbar, modified front bumper and end-caps, roofrack-mounted spotlamps, bullbar-mounted spotlamps, load guard, waterproof seat covers, rear worklamp, roofrack ladder, relocated Land Rover number plates, voltmeter and power socket fitted in radio position, uprated suspension, lowered gearing, 4-pin V8 diffs and 24-spline halfshafts, extended breathers, twin batteries, waterproofed winch solenoids, waterproofed Superwinch or Warn winch, bonnet-securing pins, modified spare wheel carrier, modified spring seats, battery cut-out switch, fire extinguishers.)

Looking at the Specifications page, we see:

Camel Trophy Discovery specifications:
These modifications apply to all vehicles including those used on the Mongolia 1997 event, although the Mongolia '97 have some specific features not present on other Camel Trophy Discoverys, which are noted.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM