General questions about your ownership experiences

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

A

alleghenyman

Hello all, I'm new to Land Rovers and know very little about them. I'm contemplating a move to NYC and buying a late 80's-early 90's Land Rover.
I want something can stand up to urban abuse and get me outdoors, but with more character than the average SUV. I also want something cheap that no one will steal, so I don't have to pay insurance premiums (which are double the rate elsewhere, probably due to the proximity of New Jersey). I'm looking to spend $4000 or less, and don't mind some maintenance costs but won't have a garage.

Several questions:
- Aluminum body sounds great but is frame rust a problem?
- I realize LR's from this era have a bad rep but do most of the reliability problems get remedied by the time it's made 150,000 miles?
- What is the maintenance situation for an LR with 150,000 miles? When do driveline components need to be rebuilt?
- Should I walk or run away from an air suspension?
- If I sort out obvious problems are little gremlins likely to leave me stranded at a trailhead?
- Are the earlier ones lighter and less complicated?

Thanks in advance.

bigbris1

Reaction score
Do yourself a favor & buy a P38 (1996-2002). Many of the problem with the classic models have been solved & generally they're more reliable. If you're planning to spend only $4,000 on a Range rover, most probably you'll spend a lot more on repair.

I live in NYC & I pay $1600 a year for insurance (the same on my BMW 325ic) with GEICO (lower than all others I've had by about $1,000)

Several questions:
- Aluminum body sounds great but is frame rust a problem?

On the Classics-YES

- I realize LR's from this era have a bad rep but do most of the reliability problems get remedied by the time it's made 150,000 miles?

As with any vehicle, maintenece history is the key to it's longevity.

- What is the maintenance situation for an LR with 150,000 miles? When do driveline components need to be rebuilt?

ASAP

- Should I walk or run away from an air suspension?

NOOOOO! That's the beauty of owning a Range Rover (see sig)

- If I sort out obvious problems are little gremlins likely to leave me stranded at a trailhead?

Hit or miss but again, maintenance records!

- Are the earlier ones lighter and less complicated?

To a fault. The newer models are much better IMHO. I once wanted a Classic merely because I could not afford an MKII but now that the MKIII's are here they have become surprisingly affordable.

Summation; save up & get an MKII.

J

jcbran981

I was just reading your post. I'm fairly new to the whole Land Rover thing, though I have had 4wd's before. I just recently bought a 91 Range Rover Country.

I'm not real experianced at this point, but from what I've gathered, you should expect a good bit of maintenance time with the earlier model Range Rovers. It's not really something you'd want as a primary vehicle since they tend to... I dunno, break down a lot.

I really haven't noticed rust as a problem though. I live in Hawaii, so my Range Rover has been on the coast it's entire life. Aside from some minor issues around the sunroof, the body is in incredibly good shape.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disco2TrailEdit4