GW Silent Armor noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thorgal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys.I know that topic about tires has been beaten to death, but here me out.Last year I fallowed some advises and purchased 265/60/18 GW Silent armors.Initially I could not believe the difference in comfort and handling compering to OEM wranglers,but after 25.000 miles driven mostly on tarmac surfaces and some off roading I realized how much noisier thay are now .It is beyond belief they are as bed as wranglers when I purchased my car.Don't get my wrong here,handling and wear is still decent,but noise they make is terrible to the point that I visited local indy shop in NJ to check for failing DIFF.,axle bearings and wheel bearings.They fine,trust me, tires on the other hand are not .Besides noise they developed grooves when you slide your hand over them.Has anybody have the same experience or is only me?I have 2 sets of rims: 18 and19 and i would like to designate one set to strictly highway driving and one for off roading.Please ,I need some suggestions regarding good highway tire eighter 18 or 19 . Thanks.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like the noise is from bad wear from bad alignment. When is the last time your alignment was done?

beantmt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Eek, I hope this isn't the norm with the Wrangler SilentArmors. I was planning on getting them.

thorgal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Aligment was done along with lower control arms and tie rods not long time ago I think in June ,also i rotate tires every 5000 miles , balance them and check tire pressure once a week.I don't see any premature , uneven wear though, it is just that noise especially at low speeds and when i slow down at lights , stop signs etc.etc.I am sort of disappointed with these tires, they turned to make noise very similar to OEM GW.At one point of my travel on 295 near Portland ME I though that my diff or axle is failing.

beantmt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone else have these tires with 25,000+ miles?

JohnKel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
30,000 miles on mine

I've had no issues with noise at all and am very satisfied. Great in snow, on ice ,off road (2x LRNR in CO) good on mud trails. YMMV

Cheers
John in Ohio

Does anyone else have these tires with 25,000+ miles?

dantheman1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have these tires with 35k+ miles. As of last weekend, there was still 9/32 left on the tire. I do think the newer batch of GW SA's are good, but I purchased mine when they first came out. The early "editions" were notorious for having balancing problems and till this day, there is a slight vibration at 70 that gets worse with speed. Even with road force balancing, never drove smooth. Mine are very quiet though, and they seem built very tough. Been on a few trails and the sidewalls at low pressure are solid.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disco2TrailEdit4