HELP! power window problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RichL73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Today I was driving and noticed an air leak in my driver side window .. I tried to roll the window up and it didn't work .. but it would go down.... but now it was stuck down even further. I thought it was off track so I just pulled it up while pushing the button to go up.. I could hear the motor so I thought it worked but after hitting some bumps I noticed it was slowly creeping back down. When I got home I pulled the door panel off to take a look.. not much to look at unless your Superman with x-ray vision and can see through metal. To make a long story short ... yeah after messing with it, it's really messed up now I can't seem to figure out how to route the cables. Anyone with experience on power windows please help me. - thanks

MilehighLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Today I was driving and noticed an air leak in my driver side window .. I tried to roll the window up and it didn't work .. but it would go down.... but now it was stuck down even further. I thought it was off track so I just pulled it up while pushing the button to go up.. I could hear the motor so I thought it worked but after hitting some bumps I noticed it was slowly creeping back down. When I got home I pulled the door panel off to take a look.. not much to look at unless your Superman with x-ray vision and can see through metal. To make a long story short ... yeah after messing with it, it's really messed up now I can't seem to figure out how to route the cables. Anyone with experience on power windows please help me. - thanks

Ick! that doesn't sound like fun at all.

I found a website that has a lot of diagrams and was helpful in disassembly/assembly of the air bags . . . .I believe it was British Atlantic's website, had to do a lot of digging to find the exploded view sheets.

Sorry not much help.

whydahdvr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure how this applies to LR's but on my old Jeep Grand Wagoneer the guide track and regulator were plastic. Crud would get in the door space and over time damage the plastic (as well as it aging) to the point where it would break. I replaced it a few times myself but never an easy task as you've noted the steel barrier. But at least on most cars there are access panels and once you know how it's supposed to work and go - and you can contort your arms enough, you can get in there to replaced the parts. But your first step is to know what it should look like. Good luck on the project!

JackMac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can take off the opposite door panel to view the proper configuration.

Also, the root cause (window goes down, but not up) may be a faulty window switch.

Last edited:

RichL73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It was definately a cable that came loose, when I took it apart I noticed 4 green wheels on the back of the window regulator ( I guess thats what it's called) and I don't know how but one of the cables slipped off the wheel. I managed to figure out how it goes back together but to get it back in the vehicle without messing it back up in the process was the problem. I actually got mad and stuffed it all back in ( to frustrate me for another day, preferably a cooler one) and in the process managed to get the window jammed in the upright position then I pulled the harness off the motor so the switch wouldn't do anything. At least now it's closed and no water will get in.

@ Jack that's how I figured out how the wires go I just pulled the door panel off the passenger side, pulled out the speaker and reached my hand back there to follow the cables

@whydahdvr theres no way dirt or crud is getting in there its sealed up pretty good ... trust me ... maybe if someone had a messed up gasket around their window that might be the only way

RichL73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@bbyer ... thanks for the link!! the guide is awesome I actually looked on the disco site and didnt find this so thanks. I'm actually thinking one of my cables might be messed up. When I go to put my regulator back in the cables just go all over the place and I can't seem to get my hand far enough in there to hold it from slipping so this might be a job for the dealer.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635