Help, Stranded in Virginia (I think it's the water pump???)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

S

SH8KDWN

As many of you have probably done I am joining this forum because I am in desperate need of help. (I joined a Volvo forum a year ago for that reason...over 500 posts and many $$$ later I have a nicely modified ride). Right now I am sitting in a hotel with my wife, 3-month old, and several suitcases, falling well short of my goal of Florida by tomorrow. My 2002 Discovery II decided it didn't want to make the trip without a detour to the side of the highway and a flatbed to the Dealership. The dealership isn't open until Monday so I need to gather as much information as possible about the problem so I can keep as much of the little money I have left (after the tow and the hotel).

Here is the background:

2002 Disco II with 57,000 miles (just bought it last month)
I was driving down the highway when the battery light flickered on then off on the dash. Within 10 seconds the back of my car looked like a crop dusted and smoke filled all the lanes behind me. I pulled over and the sweet smell of coolant overwhelmed my engine compartment. When I could pop the hood I realized a slippery redish liquid had sprayed the front and top of the engine and the coolant resevoir was empty. My fear was that the head was blown but now coolant is in the oil. I had it flatbedded to the nearest shop which mainly does tires and mufflers but I wanted to see if it was just a hose. Too bad when they started it a horrible clanking noise erupted and I immediately feared it was the water pump. Upon further inspection the belt from the fan pulley seems to now be contacting the fan (hence the clanking).

I did a search on your site and it appears to be consistant with a bad pump or bearings.... I have several questions:

-Does this sound to you to be a water pump, could it be anything else?
-How much is the dealer going to take me for with labor and parts?
-Does anyone know anything about Land Rover of Richmond, VA?
-Could you make me sound like I know what I am talking about when I talk to the service tech?

Thank you so much guys, I am really in a jam and any help would be appreciated. I am looking forward to learning from you all the best way to modify my new ride (once I get it running again).

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't think you issue is going to be a water pump, but it could be. Sounds more like either a hose blew (common, sense most people never changes hoses), or the expansion tank blew a leak.

I just hope for you that the water didn't **** the alt.

Hold the phone for a second, if the battery light came on first, you may have lost your s-belt, causing the engine to overheat and then do what you said.... you may just need a new S-belt and fill with coolant...

T

talkinghead

Ouch! Sorry to hear about your misfurtune. Though I don't know much about the diagnosis of your problem, I will put a good word in for Land Rover of Richmond. I have serviced my disco there plenty of times, and they have always done a great job. Nice folks too. If you think your problem can be handled without going directly to the dealership, you may want to try Miles Auto in Richmond. I had a new starter put in and a bunch of little odds and ins done there last week and they did a great job, for much less than the dealership would ask. My family has been getting work done at Miles for years. Good luck and have a safe trip to Florida when you get it all worked out.

S

SH8KDWN

joey said:
Sounds more like either a hose blew (common, sense most people never changes hoses), or the expansion tank blew a leak.

Hold the phone for a second, if the battery light came on first, you may have lost your s-belt, causing the engine to overheat and then do what you said.... you may just need a new S-belt and fill with coolant...

Thank you for the feedback. The reason I think that it might be more than a belt is that the fan pulley itself seems to have drifted. From what I have read here it appears that this is common when a water pump goes. I hope it's just a belt but I fear the worst.

S

SH8KDWN

talkinghead said:
Ouch! Sorry to hear about your misfurtune. Though I don't know much about the diagnosis of your problem, I will put a good word in for Land Rover of Richmond. I have serviced my disco there plenty of times, and they have always done a great job. Nice folks too. If you think your problem can be handled without going directly to the dealership, you may want to try Miles Auto in Richmond. I had a new starter put in and a bunch of little odds and ins done there last week and they did a great job, for much less than the dealership would ask. My family has been getting work done at Miles for years. Good luck and have a safe trip to Florida when you get it all worked out.

Thank you for the feedback.

Glad to hear they are nice people, that's always a plus. Thanks for the info on Miles Auto too. The car was towed to the dealer and they should have the parts in stock and hopefully be able to repair it quickly. I'm going stir crazy in this hotel with no car. I'll let everyone know how it turns out, hopefully it will be a positive experience at Richmond LR.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflint2112