Hi Lift?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

G

g ride

I just got a hi lift for my Landie. Where can I read a lot on how to use it? It frankly scares me a little.

G

g ride

Thanks Leo. I'll check it out. I have heard all sorts of crazy tales about people ruining their Rovers with these things. I guess it is more of an emergency thing than anything.

I even heard that one guy had the latch pop out and hit him in the face!

C

cbkearney

You might also look at Bill Burke's 4 wheeling america site. http://www.bb4wa.com/articles/hilift_jack.htm
He has lots of great information on his site and he sells a video that yours truly starred in (my 15 min of fame) that teaches you proper hi-lift jack techniques.

Sorry. I just realized that the link above took you to the same place.

E

Exmoor Beast

Proceed with caution!!!

Get someone to show you how to use it properly the damn things BITE!

I let go of a Hi-lift Handle whilst it was down once! Got a smack in the chin with the weight of a 110 behind it for my stupidity. Bloody everywhere, bit through my tongue on one side and bit a lump right off the other the size of a baked bean. IT REALLY HURT. Couldn't speak for a week or more and had to glue my tongue back together with some very expensive glue! Trying to extract your Land-Rover when its bogged to the axles whilst you think you are bleeding to death is no fun.

As I said. Proceed with caution.

And always keep your Hi-lift in good clean working order. Don't take any chances. Learn from my mistakes not yours.

Will :)

Moose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The two most important things:
  1. Never leave the handle in the "down" position (parallel to the ground)
  2. Maintain it
Don't store it exposed to the elements, and practice using it. Your neighbors will think you're strange when you're winching your truck across the yard, but it'll be easy to do when you need it! :D

If you're not comfortable with it, leave it at home and wheel with people who know what they're doing -- you'll learn how to use it by watching, and there'll be 35-40 pounds less in the back of your truck!

Andy

M

ModRover

lube that thing

I agree with the others... keep it in working order.

I keep mine inside my rig mounted solid behind the seat bulkhead. It's well greased and ready to work. I've seen too many Hi-Lifts mounted outside the rig. The problem is that these don't get used all that much and they really can get "frozen" by the elements. To be honest... I still like using my trusty bottle jack (and wood block under it) when it comes to tire changing. Recovering is a totally different application and, like others said, practice well first before you really need the thing. I've also seen them "bite" people... it's not pretty!

Regards,
Michael
Van., WA USA

JJMyerz

Adventurer
Reaction score
I left mine in Oregon.

Too many times have the randomly failed and fell on us. And no, this is not due to incorrect use or maintence.

I usually carry a large bottle jack, but then again I don't go through mud bogs like some and most the trails I run a bottle jack is easily used.

Justin

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You dont run much of rocky trails either then :) Hi-lift can be blessing when you need swap wheels at some weird slope or if you high-centered on huge boulders in moab

For those who worry about storing it outside (i am planning to move mine out, as soon as i will get roof rack) - you can always use them protection bags for hi-lifts - cost like 25-40$ and keeps it away from elements and bird's ****. Not as easy to moint then, though. But thats what raingler.net straps are for :)

A

antichrist

You should be afraid, very afraid. It would be quite easy for a high lift/jackall to **** you if you don't know what you're doing. A fellow rover owner got smacked by one a few years ago. Had to be airlifted out of the boonies, ended up loosing an eye.

Find someone who know's what they are doing (I can't tell you how to know they know). Use it some under lighter loads, pay attention to where the forces are, raising and lowering. Lowering a load is one place the handle can fly up and do a number on you. ALWAYS keep your hands on the handle, your head out of the way, when the handle is anywhere other than the fully up position. Be ready to jump.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9