high pitched brief squealing coming from engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rniederer

Reaction score
Looking for ideas to a squealing I'm hearing on my 2007 LR3 HSE... I'm hearing a high-pitched squeal intermittently while driving or idling. the pitch and duration is consistent regardless of RPM or speed; however RPM does dip slightly when the squeal occurs. It's high pithced and lasts maybe 1 second. I've heard it while driving a couple times and it sounded like it was from underneath the driver's side door, perhaps relating to the suspension compressor/tank area. The one time I heard it at idle was when I had the hood up and sprayed the throttle body area with water. At that time it sounded like it was from the throttle body area or below. With that said, the issue is not readily reproduceable.

You may be asking why the hood was up to start with, was trying to troubleshoot a P0171 (Bank 1 too lean) intermittent problem and was checking all the hoses and gaskets with carb cleaner. sadly, no vacuum leak detected but when i went to wash off any residue I heard the squeak and noticed the drop in RPM. Could not reproduce it though.

My current theory for the squeak is it may be the water pump seizing briefly, any thoughts or recommendations?

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmmm.....how old is your alternator?

Rover Range

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could be the A/C compressor clutch making the noise. Look at the clutch and see if it is rusty.
See if you can duplicate it with the A/C off.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Isn't the AC compressor more "whiny" than a "squeal?"

A video with audio or just an audio clip would sure help. I know you can't always reproduce it, but....

remember5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Isn't it a simple matter to loosen the belt and spin all the components? Assuming it's coming from a belt component. It could be the tensioner itself. Attached is the drive belt layout for the 4.4.

Attachments

• Description and Operation.pdf
    120.5 KB · Views: 49

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut