Hiss from Air Suspension ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

C

Colt45

Hi all - - I've owned my LR3 SE for about a week and 900 miles now. One thing I've noticed is that sometimes, (but not every time) after parking and leaving my vehicle, that I will hear a hiss from the air suspension. It doesn't appear that the car drops down, and when I start it up and go the next time it appears that the car is still in the standard height position that I left it in. (Of course, maybe any movement is very slight and I don't notice it.)- - - I thought that I would ask all your collective wisdom on this before asking the dealer service people. I don't want to hear "Oh that's normal, don't worry about it." from them if it's not so. Thank you in advance for your input on this. Regards, - -

F

flowner

There a fairly good discussion on why it hisses in Edmunds. I've cut and past for your information:

When the vehicle is parked, the air suspension control module 'wakes up' two hours after
the ignition was last switched off and then once every six hours. The vehicle height is
checked and if the vehicle is not level within a pre-set tolerance, small downwards height
adjustments may be made automatically."

This is from the Lincoln Mark VIII site. It also has air suspenstion.
If it is happend a lot there my be a leak.

T

toddjb123

yeah, mine does it and from what i read hear its normal truck flatulation.

R

roverdawg

Mine does it, too. I kinda like it! From what I've read on other forums, it's normal. The LR3 will self-level. I've noticed it after dropping passengers off. The car will sometimes adjust to compensate for the shift in weight. Interestingly, I've also noticed it after coming to a stop with the wheels turned if stopped for more than a few minutes i.e. at a stop light. Presumably to adjust for the articulation?

C

Colt45

Thanks guys - - - youve reassured me - - now if I can just figure out why my navigation system won't give me voice prompts or allow more than two different screen views - all my questions about my LR3 will be answered (for today anyway) All in all I love this vehicle though ! I appreciate all your input. Regards, - -

T

texas911

Mine too. And my Mercedes E55 did it too as it has an airsuspension.

G

geowgray

Colt45 said:
Hi all - - I've owned my LR3 SE for about a week and 900 miles now. One thing I've noticed is that sometimes, (but not every time) after parking and leaving my vehicle, that I will hear a hiss from the air suspension. It doesn't appear that the car drops down, and when I start it up and go the next time it appears that the car is still in the standard height position that I left it in. (Of course, maybe any movement is very slight and I don't notice it.)- - - I thought that I would ask all your collective wisdom on this before asking the dealer service people. I don't want to hear "Oh that's normal, don't worry about it." from them if it's not so. Thank you in advance for your input on this. Regards, - -
You know I hate to say it but I have an LR3 and it is normal. The loaners do it to. I do know that typically air suspension especially once you leave the vehicle and have closed the doors it will not only hiss but sometime will settle down a bit; compensating for ride height. Especially after you unload it with people and cargo you will really notice the rear especially lowering after you close the door and lock it. Also when I unlock my truck I'm greeted with a hiss every time. If you are real sensitive like myself, sometime when you are driving and come to a stop the suspension will also right itself.... sort of feels like someone is pushing up from the bottom. The suspension is constantly compensating before, during and after driving. I truly believe, and it's not really boasted in the manual, that it will hunker down a bit at speed as well as tighten up in corners as well, except for long sweeping corners. LR purposely designed a certain amount of lean for safety reasons.....what ever!!!! I'd like to be able to have access to dial the feel of suspension and handling I want. The system is definitely capable to be fine tuned but we don't have the access laptop and programs yet. Trust me someone will figure it out.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635