How is your new D5?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

777AIA

Reaction score
So, is anyone on the forum driving one of these new rides yet? Seems strangely quiet.

I decided to pass, but already pre-ordered a 2018-19 or maybe its 20! LR Defender, with a requested $2K deposit! to replace my 2008 LR3 HSE.
599c6b00fe413624a94e1e8ee0bd3c2d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

horns

Reaction score
Hopefully the final product is still being "conceptualized". This looks a bit like the illegitimate love child of an FJ toyota and a mini-cooper.

777AIA

Reaction score
I think this is it. Available in India.

catman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I decided to pass, but already pre-ordered a 2018-19 or maybe its 20! LR Defender, with a requested $2K deposit! to replace my 2008 LR3 HSE.

I would not bother sitting $2K with a dealer on this. The UK forum is littered with upset early order people who received their new Discovery well after the launch and some new uncommited ones were sitting on lots available for purchase. Dealers always ask for money down, but I have never paid them anything and still received the cars I ordered. Land Rover may be less flexible than other brands, but it's negotiable like anything else. Maybe $500 now and the rest when an order is actually placed, that sort of thing.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hopefully the final product is still being "conceptualized". This looks a bit like the illegitimate love child of an FJ toyota and a mini-cooper.
I was thinking of the same thing.
But based on the D5... I'm sure what you're looking at is it.

Be nice to see in real life to get a better feel for the size and outfitting.

It really doesn't look like the offroad capable monster we're hoping for. It looks more like a trail ready discovery sport. We'll see, though. It'll be nice to see a non-luxury focused vehicle which they haven't made in a while.

777AIA

Reaction score
"It really doesn't look like the offroad capable monster we're hoping for..."

I'll try to get some info from a friend in Bangladesh. Size is not my issue: its just me now! The heck with the 7 heavy seats in my LR3!

iSurfvilano

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I plan to wait for the SVX version of the defender to be released. I'd rather have the best one instead of the first one.

horns

Reaction score
Maybe with 4 doors, some beefier tires and a little lift it would be closer to what I was expecting?

Bradpr

Reaction score
From what I read on another LR forum, the TD6 discovery is being ordered by people that currently own an aging Touareg TDI. I can see where the Discovery is a good choice if coming out of a Touareg. And if you're a fan of diesel, there aren't many options left in the US.

This is me. I have a 2012 Touareg TDi and am buying my fully loaded D5 with my settlement cash. I want a ride that can carry my family of 4 + 2 dogs around. It will see some moderate rock & mud action as I live at the southern tip of the Appalachains. It will haul my crew deep into the national forests and will carry our bikes and canoes. It has more space and capability than my Touareg.

I went for the HSE Td6 Lux and loaded it up. After the settlement cash is applied, I'm picking it up for around the cost of a basic Ford Explorer <insert your jokes here, trolls>.

It is a perfect next vehicle coming out of the Touareg.

Red Lightning

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is me. I have a 2012 Touareg TDi and am buying my fully loaded D5 with my settlement cash. I want a ride that can carry my family of 4 + 2 dogs around. It will see some moderate rock & mud action as I live at the southern tip of the Appalachains. It will haul my crew deep into the national forests and will carry our bikes and canoes. It has more space and capability than my Touareg.

I went for the HSE Td6 Lux and loaded it up. After the settlement cash is applied, I'm picking it up for around the cost of a basic Ford Explorer <insert your jokes here, trolls>.

It is a perfect next vehicle coming out of the Touareg.

Hahahaha ok I will! This "Land Rover" is a disgrace in terms of aesthetics. It's hilarious you chose to compare it to an Explorer based on cost and still went with that analogy anyway! It is nothing but a more technologically advanced Explorer anyway. There is almost no discernible difference in appearance between every Land Rover model currently in production and Exploders.

It's actually sad that any semblance of what Land Rovers were died with the end of the Defender and the LR4/Disco 4. This was confirmed by LR execs when Gerry McGovern stated that the new Disco was designed to appeal to the masses and be less "polarizing" (as he put it) in order to sell as many units as possible. His goal is to increase the number of soccer moms driving Land Rovers without regard for the heritage of what made this brand so special. Anyone who buys one of these Explorer clones is perpetuating that end.

Thankfully some of us will have relics to show future generations what real Land Rovers used to look like.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut