How is your new D5?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

horns

Reaction score
It's actually sad that any semblance of what Land Rovers were died with the end of the Defender and the LR4/Disco 4. This was confirmed by LR execs when Gerry McGovern stated that the new Disco was designed to appeal to the masses and be less "polarizing" (as he put it) in order to sell as many units as possible.

- This is a myopic plan that will blow up in their face eventually. However, by that time the execs will be retired or on to another company boasting of how they increased sales volume. I wonder how many companies that go public end up wishing they never had. A little different situation here, but same idea with Tata now calling the shots.

catman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is no point in complaining at this point, the evolution of LR is well under way. It's a long process growing from niche player, to small market player, to mid market player, to leading the pack, and each jump along the way will require more changes we probably will not like. That's just the way it is.

Land Rover made the decision to increase market share and in doing so, they know they must appeal to a larger and different audience. That comes at the expense of exclusivity and "polarizing" styling, two attributes many people on this forum connect with. While I agree with many here that the newer styling is not my personal taste and that there is a strange "every model looks the same" approach being taken, the bottom line is that LR has sold 18,500 D5's in the first few months of production and is very pleased with the popularity of the model. While it has not "taken off" yet here in the US (sales are just over 800 per month so far), globally it is doing very well and that seems to prove that the larger audience as a whole has different priorities than those many of us place on our vehicles.

I am not sure if they can make a Defender cheap enough to fill the market void from the loss of the Xterra and FJ Cruiser, so Jeep is probably loving life right now. There is certainly a market segment there, but it must be pretty small or both Nissan and Toyota would not have abandoned it.

Last edited:

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is no point in complaining at this point, the evolution of LR is well under way. It's a long process growing from niche player, to small market player, to mid market player, to leading the pack, and each jump along the way will require more changes we probably will not like. That's just the way it is.

Land Rover made the decision to increase market share and in doing so, they know they must appeal to a larger and different audience. That comes at the expense of exclusivity and "polarizing" styling, two attributes many people on this forum connect with. While I agree with many here that the newer styling is not my personal taste and that there is a strange "every model looks the same" approach being taken, the bottom line is that LR has sold 18,500 D5's in the first few months of production and is very pleased with the popularity of the model. While it has not "taken off" yet here in the US (sales are just over 800 per month so far), globally it is doing very well and that seems to prove that the larger audience as a whole has different priorities than those many of us place on our vehicles.

I am not sure if they can make a Defender cheap enough to fill the market void from the loss of the Xterra and FJ Cruiser, so Jeep is probably loving life right now. There is certainly a market segment there, but it must be pretty small or both Nissan and Toyota would not have abandoned it.

catman, I completely agree with everything you said here. Enough complaining and whining about the D5. If you don't like it, don't buy it.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree, logically speaking there is nothing that can be argued. It's their company of course they can choose how they want to run it. I don't know about the rest of you, but it's nearly breaking my heart to see the direction they've gone. I really have zero and I mean zero desire to own any of the current Rovers. But this is coming from a guy who thought the silver grill on his LR4 was too 'blingy'.

What if Jeep dropped the Wrangler and only made Compasses from here on out? There'd be a revolt. But they're smarter than that, they recognize that there's heritage at stake. And with LRs direction, and Toyota dropping the FJ, they're laughing all the way to the bank. Here in Detroit area, Wranglers are absolutely everywhere.

Not every single vehicle has to be bland and soul less. Maybe the Defender will be a little soul stirring, but my guess is it will end up looking like a tall Evoque...and cost $80,000. I'll probably end up with a diesel rubicon or a 4Runner, if they can ever get their **** together on their interiors, haha!

Bradpr

Reaction score
Hahahaha ok I will! This "Land Rover" is a disgrace in terms of aesthetics. It's hilarious you chose to compare it to an Explorer based on cost and still went with that analogy anyway!

Obviously, my preemptive snark was lost on you, mr troll. My experience with the LR community has been that most of you are cool, but I've run into a few pretentious turds along the way.

It's actually sad that any semblance of what Land Rovers were died with the end of the Defender and the LR4/Disco 4. This was confirmed by LR execs when Gerry McGovern stated that the new Disco was designed to appeal to the masses and be less "polarizing" (as he put it) in order to sell as many units as possible.

Yeah, and I miss the 80's and Windows XP. Times change. Products evolve. I'm sorry you don't like what JLR is doing with the line. They obviously have a different vision than you. Maybe you should write them a letter and share your feelings. ******** to me isn't going to do much.

His goal is to increase the number of soccer moms driving Land Rovers without regard for the heritage of what made this brand so special. Anyone who buys one of these Explorer clones is perpetuating that end.

I am a soccer mom! I also chose the Disco because of its heritage and my love for hiking, paddling, biking, hunting, and off-roading. I am certain it will serve me well. So, I suppose Gerry had an effective marketing idea (and you, unfortunately, are wrong about the rest of what you said).

Thankfully some of us will have relics to show future generations what real Land Rovers used to look like.

Appreciation of heritage is admirable. Being stuck in the past, unable to accept the reality of change is sad. Please don't be a relic.

Red Lightning

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Obviously, my preemptive snark was lost on you, mr troll. My experience with the LR community has been that most of you are cool, but I've run into a few pretentious turds along the way.

Yes, you are soooo clever, Mrs. Soccer Mom. I would be willing to wager that the vast majority of people that belong to these forums are here because of what LR used to represent and stand for, not what it is now. So if I am the voice of the pretentious turds, then so be it. At least I'm preaching the truth. The mere fact that you recognize your new kid hauler and grocery getter is nothing but a souped up Explorer only proves my point.

Yeah, and I miss the 80's and Windows XP. Times change. Products evolve. I'm sorry you don't like what JLR is doing with the line. They obviously have a different vision than you. Maybe you should write them a letter and share your feelings. ******** to me isn't going to do much.

Terrible, meaningless analogy. It's too bad you lack the intelligence to understand that, so let me explain it for you. In order for your point to hold water, I would have to be on here ******** that LRs made today should contain the same technological and mechanical abilities of those from the 80's or during the era of Windows XP. That would be idiotic, much like everything you wrote. To say that the technology found in your new Explorer could not fit inside of something that actually looks like a LR - say an LR4 or Defender, makes no sense, because it easily could have been accomplished. Instead, LR decided to make a carbon copy of every other homogenized, soulless **** they're currently churning out. I own an LR4 (after waiting to see what your new station wagon would look like) and a Series 2A. The Series drives like a tractor. The LR4 drives like a $60k SUV. Guess what Soccer Mom? They're both LRs! That's what you don't understand. They both hold a certain style, aesthetic, soul, whatever you want to call it, that allows people to recognize them as symbols of a proud heritage. When they see you pulling into the Target parking lot, people will say "wow, Ford sure is making a good looking car these days."

I am a soccer mom! I also chose the Disco because of its heritage and my love for hiking, paddling, biking, hunting, and off-roading. I am certain it will serve me well. So, I suppose Gerry had an effective marketing idea (and you, unfortunately, are wrong about the rest of what you said).

Congrats on proving everything I ever thought, but was afraid to ask, about the people that buys these new Fords. Gerry did have an effective marketing idea: gut any remaining vestige from what this brand used to mean/stand for, and design an awful, urbane, unoriginal grocery and kid mobile that appeals to people who will consume whatever product the magazines tell them to without any second thoughts. You said it yourself Soccer Mom - Gerry is a marketer. Nothing more. His goal is to appeal to the masses - like yourself. Strip away the rugged utilitarianism of the cars and remove all of its history and lore at the same time. But as long as Redbook, or Marie Claire, or whatever it is you read while you’re getting your hair done, says this is THE new vehicle for you to demonstrate your status whilst in the drop off lane, then go for it.

Appreciation of heritage is admirable. Being stuck in the past, unable to accept the reality of change is sad. Please don't be a relic.

Don't come on a LR message board, where people who actually do care about the heritage and purpose of these vehicles, and get all butthurt after someone obliges your request to show you all the ways in which you are wrong. I have accepted the reality of the change at LR - hence my ownership of my LR4. And I am proud to be a relic - hence the ownership of my Series. Please don't be a mindless, unoriginal consumer of whatever is shoved down the throats of the masses. Oh wait, too late.

Bradpr

Reaction score
Bless your heart, Redneck. You are a frustrated, angry little man. Good luck with your anger management, you crusty old fart.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Red Lightning, great job of making people feel welcome here. As I have said before, if you don't like the D5, then don't buy one.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA