How to change your Land Rover's Oil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Slam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
CREDITS: John Shumway (roughtx)

Want to know the easiest way to keep your Land Rover running forever? Changing the oil at least every 3000 miles will keep your engine running strong. You can do it yourself, although Land Rover has not made it easy for you. You can change the oil and filter for under $10 and 30 minutes of your time.

You need . . .
1. Lots of Oil
2. Oil Pan
3. Filter Wrench
4. New Oil Filter

1. Buy yourself a large economy sized case of oil and a cheap filter from a local shop selling car parts. Buy any oil and make sure the oil is API (American Petroleum Institute) certified. This will be given on the label.

2. Under the Land Rover you will see a large tank with a bolt protruding from the side of it. This is the oil tank with a (cough) well designed discharge bolt.

3. Place any small pan (only a few bucks from your local parts store) under the discharge bolt of the tank.

4. Remove the bolt slowly. Be careful or the oil will shoot out a few feet from where you put the pan.

5. Drain all of the oil from the oil tank into the pan. Be daring and let it fly! Catch the oil if you can. Otherwise let it drip slowly into the pan and be safe. Either way, you will get a drop of oil on your hands or clothes.

6. Screw in the discharge bolt, but not too tight that you round the edges of the bolt.

7. Now, locate the oil filter as seen below. It is on the bottom of your engine and is usually a white or blue color like below.

8. You can buy a filter wrench to remove the filter, which should be about a few bucks from your local parts store.

9. Use the filter wrench to rotate the oil filter to the left (righty tighty, lefty loosey)..

10. Remove the filter slowly and let the oil from the filter drip into the pan. You can touch a stick onto the filter and it will guide the oil down into tjhe pan.

11. Screw in the new filter using the filter wrench to the right (righty tighty, lefty loosey). Do not over tighten the filter. Once it makes contact, simply rotate it one more half turn.

12. Now you are ready to add more oil to your Land Rover. Simply unscrew the yellow cap on the top of the engine and add 5 1/2 quarts.

13. Last, check the dipstick to ensure that the oil is filled to the proper amount.

14. Turn on the engine, and check for oil leaks at the discharge bolt, or the oil filter.

16. Some stores will let you dispose of the old oil for free. Check your nearest Autozone or Checkers. Never throw away your oil anywher but the designated oil disposals.

17. Check the mileage on your Land Rover and write the miles on the oil filter. Repeat before you hit another 3000 miles. I like to do it every 2500 miles.

Attachments

• oil_filter.jpg
    oil_filter.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 567
  • oil_valve.jpg
    oil_valve.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 568
O

OwenBirch

I was told not to drain the oil pan and remove the filter at the same time. Is this not true?

Aren't you supposed to Change the oil from the Oil Pan, refill, let it run to cycle it through, and THEN change the filter?

headhunter

Reaction score
well i would say no, because any dirt that gets through the filter will dirty the new oil, *** with out changing the filter at the same time the filter will be full of old oil

Terry Evans

Reaction score
I have an 05' LR3 V8 the dealer said only change the oil every 7,500 miles which drove me bananas at first (super control freak issues I know) but since it had the factory paid maintainace schedule - I went with it, It's been over 85,000 miles and no issues or loss of power but its always been Dealer changed - now that it is out of service contract, I thought I might go back to the 3,000 mi interval but still undecided
What are your thoughts . . .
Thanks, Terry

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM