If you were to sell your LR3 what would you get if...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It doesn't fit the OP requirements. But if I had to get rid of my LR3, I'd get one of these...

DSC_0703-vi.jpg

Either the Ford or Chevy would be fine. But for snow and sand, I love me those offroad "A-Team" vans!

CoreyS

Reaction score
Sorry to sound so cold, but anyone who trades an LR3 for a BMW X3 or X5 bought it for the wrong reasons, and needs to take it offroad. The LR3 just has no equal off road...

Just one guy's opinion...:biggrin:

Perhaps you got some dirt stuck in your eyes :confused: , did I insult the off-road capability of the LR3? There are more reasons to buy an LR3 than just off-roading capability. I have taken the LR3 off-road several times (and I agree, it's highly impressive!), but not often enough to be a deciding factor for me. It's not a requirement, it was a bonus, really. I definitely enjoy off-roading, I used to run ATVs and beater trucks off-road all the time when I was young (in Oregon). Living in the SF Bay Area now, though, I have to go kinda far out of my way to off-road. When I bought the LR3 in Oct 05, it was mainly due to the incredibly flexible layout of the interior. It was (and probably still is) the roomiest mid-size SUV on the market. The cargo space is great, especially with a growing family, and the 3rd row seats are actually pretty usable when needed. I'd say that these are very practical reasons that I have the opportunity to exploit everyday. I like the LR3 overall, it's been pretty nice, but it could obviously use better fuel mileage and more torque to climb the hills up to our house.

With that said, since purchasing the LR3, we've also traded our Mini Cooper S for a BMW 335i sedan. First BMW we've owned, and I'm convinced it won't be the last. Having raced cars for several years, I can really appreciate the on-road driving characteristics of the BMWs (99.9% of my driving is on-road these days). We didn't even consider the previous generation X5 due to the small interior space, but since the new X5 is longer and has a 3rd row, I've decided that I'm willing to give up a little bit of interior space in order to have a better on-road performing SUV. I won't make the switch, either, unless their new twin-turbo I-6 diesel makes it to the US.

Last edited:

jimbiram

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I certainly can appreciate the BMW perforance. My wife drives a 330ci convertible, and I like to drive whenever she lets me....LOL!

richpike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I certainly can appreciate the BMW perforance. My wife drives a 330ci convertible, and I like to drive whenever she lets me....LOL!

Agreed. I used to have a 3-series and it was a fantastic driving car. Few (if any) manufacturers have been able to match BMW's combination of handling and ride. Unfortunately, my 3-series had TERRIBLE reliability - they tore apart the engine three times before 30k miles (sticky vanos causing a check engine light) and replaced the transmission at 35k miles. Just unbelievable. So, I'm somewhat gun shy of BMWs right now (I realize that most European cars have poor reliability, but this one was terrible).

Having said all this, the X5 is sweet - especially with the 4.4L (or 4.8L). And the new 135i will replace my TT in a couple years :cool:

-Rich

franklin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm in a weird situation. I love my LR3 it's far and away my favorite vehicle that I've ever owned. I love the interior room, the ride and (not sure if it's justified) I feel like my kids are safe in it. Further, I really like the overall look of the truck. That aside I do frequently wish I had something that would go farther then 279 miles on $70 of fuel and needing brakes, rotors and tires at 32k isn't exactly a great feeling. So with that...

In your opinion what vehicles should I look at if I was thinking of getting out of my 2005 LR3 HSE and what is it worth? Thanks! I'm having trouble because I like the LR3 so much nothing else seems to cut it... but maybe one of you has a suggestion I don't know about???

Tell you the truth-I don't have an answer-I looked at almost every other SUV/Truck out there and could not find something comparable. I am more of a truck person so styling was a big factor, along with roominess. I do not like cross-over styling ala Cayenne, Toureg, X5 etc. I was actually looking at Ford Super Crews before purchasing. Good luck-it took me a good 6 months of looking and driving my wife crazy before I decided on the LR3.

LR3rocks!

Reaction score
I've owned several SUVs, mini-vans and a Tundra. The LR3 is hands down best of the lot. It's not perfect, but I've owned Fords, a Chevy, Toyotas, Hondas, Mazdas, a Suzuki and a Nissan. I've always been a big "reliabiity" fan because of issues with vehicles when I was younger. However, with 3.5K miles on the '06 LR3 I purchased (had 19K miles), I have few complaints and many positives.

I live in Germany, so I looked hard at the BMWs, Audis and Volvos--I don't really like the looks of the Porsche or VW SUV. In the end, the capability, features and looks of the LR3 out-gunned all of the others. A friend of mine bought a new '07 LR3 after doing extensive research and test drives. I found the used one for only $35K! He loves his truck, but I love mine w/ the $20K discount even better.

I also looked at the V70 and believe as suggested that wagon may be a great alternative for you if a mini-van isn't cool enuf, but for that matter is a station-wagon? Good luck in your search.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I agree with jimbiram...the real compelling reason to buy an LR3 is off-road capability. In other categories (pertaining to on-road performance) it can be beaten by many other SUVs. ...but there are very few that can keep up off-road and perhaps none that can blend the off-road AND on-road performance the way the LR3 does.

I've decided that the things that make a Rover a Rover are the elements that the company has maintained in the rigs from the beginning:

1. Body-on-frame construction.
2. Two-speed transfer case.
3. Locking center differential.

I'd say that any SUV that has these three characteristics will be a savvy off-roader. X5 is SWEET on-road, but it's unibody and AWD. ML500 is kinda nice in some ways, but it's unibody as well and the new ones do not have a 2-speed transfer case (not sure if MB offered it in a package later though). The Hummers have these things, but they're horrible on the road.

...about the only other nice SUV in the same price range as the LR3 and otherwise having similar appointments is the Lexus GX470. I drove one before I bought my Rover. It was "nice" if not boring. Probably pretty capable. I wouldn't trade though.

Dugn8r

Reaction score
We currently have three vehicles - a 2004 Jeep Rubicon, a 2007 HOnda Ridgeline and a 2005 Land Rover LR3 (just got it). The LR3 is impressive off road... but not as impressive as the Rubicon (sorry - please don't lynch me). The Rubicon is impressive off road, but not nearly as impressive on the road as either the LR3 or the Ridgeline. THe ridgeline is impressive on the road and on dirt roads. It's not a great vehicle for off roading, but I love the rear seating an the fact it has a bed. I can't tell you how many times this has come in handy because not only do I have a kid, but I like working on projects.

My LR3 simply won't hang with the Rubicon off road. but it is a better balance for the everyday world. After driving the LR3, I hate driving the Jeep on the road. I do have a new 2008 Jeep 4 dr wrangler Rubicon on order... that should be a great vehicle. I will be selling my 04 Jeep and my 07 Ridgeline when I pick this up. Of course, I'm keeping the Landie!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM