"Ignition Key In"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ScottinNJ

Reaction score
Hello all. This morning when I went to shut off my 97 4.6, I removed the key from the ignition. when I opened the door, the message center said "Ignition key in" after the key was removed. I tried locking the car with the remote, but it wouldn't lock. I manually locked it and two faint beeps were heard. Please help as I don't want to be stranded at work. Thanks in advance for all of you good advice. Best regards,

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This happened to me once. My best guess is it was because the battery was pretty drained. Got a new battery and it hasn't happened since. Good luck.

ScottinNJ

Reaction score
Thank you. That was my initial thought too. In doing a bit of research online, I discovered a post addressing this very problem. The tech stated that the inner tumbler of the ignition switch did not release when the key was removed. He instructed to lubricate the ignition switch and all should work. I will post a follow up later advising of the results. Thank you for your help.

wires

Reaction score
G'day Scott

You are on the right track - it is the outer door that does not close. You can see it when it happens as it is the door in the opening that you have to push the key through to get in the hole. The door does not always close when the key is removed.

I have not had any lasting success with graphite powder or sprays. The powder seems to reduce the clearances and eventually makes it stick even more and the sprays remove the lubricant from the biscuits (tumblers) inside the lock and the key eventually will not turn in the lock.

Good luck

wires

ScottinNJ

Reaction score
Thanks Wires. I sued WD40 and it did the trick. No problems since. Thanks for the insight.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72