Inverter Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

davidfkon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So i went and got a 1600watt inverter. 2 cables to the battery posts . . . any potential electrical issues? Should I add a fuse - if so how, as it connects directly to the battery.

I don't plan on using it/having it connected often - just don't want to blow anything up when I am out . . .

Thanks,

-D

kwlr3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go to a marine supply store and buy a 25 amp fuse and holder, should be able to find one at a West Marine or similar. Put it in the positive cable as close to the battery as possible. Is the inverter switched? A hard wired inverter will quickly drain the fragile LR3 battery if left on even without a load.

I had a large inverter in my old DII for which I even installed a remote switch up on the instrument cluster. The DII had plenty of unused space behind the interior panels in the boot. I mounted a regular ground fault outlet opposite the 12v outlet. Problem is, I don't know if I ever used it. I had visions of watching a DVD while camping but that really wouldn't be camping then, would it?

Where are you going to mount it? Inverters don't like heat or moisture so under the hood is out of the question. I bought (at West Marine) an inverter that fits in a cup holder It works great for charging a phone, camera, or running a laptop. I have a large inverter but have never found a good place to mount it.

joecool509

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So i went and got a 1600watt inverter. 2 cables to the battery posts . . . any potential electrical issues? Should I add a fuse - if so how, as it connects directly to the battery.

I don't plan on using it/having it connected often - just don't want to blow anything up when I am out . . .

Thanks,

-D

1600w / 12v nominal = 133amps. You want a 125Amp fuse inline with this supply and placed as close to the battery as possible. Get some welding cable (gauged appropriately for distance) for this kind of power. The fuses they sell for amps work just fine. or you can bolt them inline if it is easier with a flat fuse. (what I used for my 2nd battery)

Are you using the starter battery? They aren't geared for long load drains like a deep cycle. You can size down the cable if you want to limit the cable size and watt output, put a proportional sized fuse. If you get me the distance or max load I can help size the parts.

Last edited:

drivesafe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi David and do you have a specific reason for using such a huge inverter?

Most people find a 300w inverter will meet most of their needs and even these chew a fair bit of power but your 1600w, if run anywhere near full capacity, would not only pull a huge amount of current, your battery would be lucky to last much more than 10 to 15 minutes and it would most likely be stuffed after just one use like that.

What sort of appliances are you thinking of running?

hell pie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Perhaps 1600 is the peak wattage and not the RMS. 1600 would be ideal if the mrs wanted to use a hair dryer out in the back woods.

davidfkon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That was my thought . . . go to the beach and let the ladies blowdry before lunch . . . .
=====================================================================
"Are you using the starter battery? They aren't geared for long load drains like a deep cycle. You can size down the cable if you want to limit the cable size and watt output, put a proportional sized fuse. If you get me the distance or max load I can help size the parts."

the existing cable that goes from battery poles to inverter is a mere ~ 3ft long, which means the thing needs to rest in the hood compartment. I was thinking of getting ~ 6ft line so it could rest on the ground. Also, thinking of using only when the engine is runninig so as not to drain the battery . . . am I off base here?

-D

drivesafe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thinking of using only when the engine is runninig so as not to drain the battery . . . am I off base here?

-D

Hi D and running the inverter while the motor is running will be fine.

Use good thick cable and your inverter will run more efficiently, and that means it won’t get so hot.

joecool509

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just put a proper fuse on the battery side of the cable. The inverter fuse only protects the inverter not if the wire becomes grounded. You should be good. by keeping the car running the voltage will be higher and the current will be lower so you can use a smaller gauge wire. Hope this helps!

davidfkon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most excellent . . . thanks all for the input.

-D

drivesafe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
by keeping the car running the voltage will be higher and the current will be lower so you can use a smaller gauge wire. Hope this helps!

Hi Joecool and no, if you reduce the size of the cable, and no cable size has yet been mentioned , but reducing the thickness of the cable because you have higher voltage available, just defeats the advantage the higher voltage offers.

It never hurts to run thicker cable than is needed but it’s not smart running thinner cable if you can use thicker cable.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM