Land Rover 'Wheels' Event?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vivaldi1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got an email from my dealer here in the Northern Virginia area yesterday about a Land Rover 'Wheels' event outing to local Orange, VA for a day of obstacles and challenges. Looks like the local dealers put it on and it's basically free with a catered lunch. Limited to 30 Land Rover vehicles. Sounded too good to pass up so I signed up.

They didn't offer much information though on whether it's for beginners and what to expect.

Just curious if any other folks have gone to these events and what your experiences were like? I thought there was never supposed to be such a thing as a free lunch! Are they going to try and sell my timeshares in the Australian Outback? I kid there. I'm fully aware it's not a free lunch, I just bought a $60k vehicle from them.

Roversky

Reaction score
My local dealership here in Greensboro NC did one of these recently,we went to VIR (Virginia International Raceway) and had a blast. Free lunch,no timeshare sells,they had excellent instructors who gave a 30 minute presentation on basics of 4 wheel drive systems,how to avoid getting stuck,how to get out if you still get stuck and how not to tear up your equipment. Then they took us out on several courses of varying degrees of difficulty. Needless to say the vehicles did great. 2 LR3's ,1 Freelander, 1 RR Sport,and we had the only LR4 (and we were the only ones with the HD package).Just the 5 of us! we had enough instructors for almost each vehicle. Spent about 3+ hours out on the courses having a ball.You really don't know what these vehicles are capable of till you do something like this.HIGHLY RECOMMENDED! Oh, and didn't get a scratch on the vehicle (although i did have to pull a fair amount of weeds and brush off the underside when i cleaned it up at home)

crewcabrob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi,

The next weekend after I bought my LR4 the dealer had a similar event. We met at the dealership and caravaned up to an "off-road" park. There we got an entry into the park for the day, had an awesome breakfast and then went "wheelin". Forgive me, the event was heled in a remote part of Iowa...

It was a nice event and they normally have everything there from mild to wild. It seems that most had to back out on the weekend because it had been rescheduled somany times due to rain. They normally get built up defenders as well as stock discos, Range Rovers and LR3 and LR4s. I had the only LR4 there and it was basically new, so some of the trails I didn't want to do because of the pin-stripes. I still got some, but the event leader said to bring it back to the dealership and he would have the guys buff them out for me.

I suspect that every event is a bit different based on location, but there were some trails I wouldn't do with a stock truck. Others might be braver, but instruction was given at each obstacle.

After the event we had some wine at a local vineyard, got a bag full of goodies that said Land Rover on them and then we headed back home.

I hear they try to do them about every quarter, and the event always changes. Some times it a poker run as the weather around here in winter can be a bit of a hassle.

I encourage you to attend if you have a chance to.

Rob

crewcabrob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Vivaldi1,

Did you end up going to the event? If so what did you think?

I talked to my salesman a few days ago and he is trying to line something up for September. I should call him back and let him know about the national rally.
Rob

vivaldi1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rob,

I did end up going. It was a blast. It was run by 2 local Land Rover dealers but hosted by a group called OEX (http://www.overlandexperts.com/).

There were probably 20 vehicles ranging from stock LR4's and LR3's to Range Rovers and older Discoveries.

The event was held in a privately held swath of about 8000 acres in Orange, Virginia. OEX normally runs 4x4 lessons here to groups and individuals and actually trains the military in 4x4 use. They have dozens of trails at all skill levels, creeks and rivers and hills and obstacles of all types. They also have some man made obstacles to go through (rock crawls and a deep pit of mud with inclines in and out I thankfully didn't get to experience).

They fed us breakfast and then we caravaned out to do a trail they first called 'moderate' and then later called it 'easy'. It was raining off and on, but it was an absolute blast. It was my first real off road experience in the LR4, so I was kind of strangely tense. It was mostly scenic trail runs in moderately muddy conditions, but there were plenty of pretty steep hills to climb and descend and a few creeks to cross. We went into some heavily forested trails too that made me feel like we were in Southeast Asia with very narrow winding, hilly and muddy trails with lots of trees (had to tuck the side mirrors in or they would have been damaged). There were 2 points where about half the cars had to be recovered. It was a sudden 2-3 foot drop in a very muddy trail followed by a pretty sudden 2-3 foot climb up a hill. Luckily I didn't get stuck at all. Then at another point there was a modest hill that was extremely muddy and many rovers had to keep reversing to the bottom to make it up. Much of the reasons we got stuck was because we were mostly n00bs I'm sure.

We had the rovers in low range all the time, mud and ruts selected.

After a few hours on the trail, they fed us lunch and then we shot some clay pigeons with shotguns. After that some folks were off to do more advanced trails that *might result in vehicle damage* according to the expedition leaders. So I decided I had enough fun for the day so we left without doing the more advanced trails.

The key things I learned:

> Leave the hitch at home if you have one! I didn't know to take mine off and it was locked in place. Luckily somebody else had a key that worked.
> In tight quarters, turn the vehicle at a tree when the tree hits your B frame (frame closest to headrest of front seats).
> Turn off DSC *before* you think you might get into a situation where you are spinning in mud.
> Don't try and power through when you are spinning out in mud on an incline. Back up a little if you need to and go slow and steady at about 2000 RPMs and let the LR4 figure out the climb.
> Trust Hill Descent Mode ;) It's scary not to hit the brakes going down a steep muddy hill, but the truck figured it out just fine.
> The LR4 is a fantastic machine!

I'd advise any and everybody to go on those events if you can make it. I'll be sure to go to the next one.

The picture below was before I got really muddy.

-Willie

Attachments

• 146349606.jpg
    146349606.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 143

crewcabrob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is so cool! I can tell you that we were very impressed with our event as well. The dealership/Land Rover is very commited to the customer expierience and these types of events are proof of it.

Thanks for sharing!

Rob

crewcabrob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My dealer is having another event tonight. They invited us up to the dealership to have inspections done on our trucks and to get "wine'd and dine'd" for the evening. I'm sure goodie bags will be given out. I will post more tomorrow after the event tonight.

Rob

crewcabrob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We had a great time at the Land Rover event last night. It was sponsored by my closest dealer: Markle Land Rover of Omaha. The next closest is 150 miles away.

We had a full inspection done on the truck. They washed it ( I personally wished they wouldn't have as I keep my truck clean and now I have water spots) vaccuumed it out and cleaned the windows inside. We had food and drinks, visited with the staff and other LR owners. Looked at new trucks and walked away with a TON of LR swag. Coffee mugs, water bottles, hats, pens, stuffed animals, key chains, gift baskets of food, flashlights, bags... just a lot of fun stuff.

They gave us the results of the multi point check and set up appointments for all issues we might be having.

I don't really need this type of involvement from my dealer to feel good about my LR4 purchase, but it is really nice to be treated like roallty.

They are already planning events for next year for us!

Rob

RumRunnr

Reaction score
These events are generally offered no strings attached and are a ton of fun. Also, it's a good way to get a hesitant significant other to appreciate what taking the truck off road is all about.

Here's a link to a thread I posted with lots of pics from an event in Chicago:

Autobahn Country Club

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disco2TrailEdit4