Legal situation for rear bench seatbelts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

L

landy6509

Hi all, can anybody clarify the UK legal situation with regards fitting rear seat belts in a Defender 90? I have just bought a '92 90 and the back is empty. I am planning to install bench seats from Paddock. There are no existing seat belts fitted, and the bench seat does not come with them on. I seem to recall that if belts are not fitted as standard, then they are not compulsory. Does anybody know if this is still true? Also, do lap belts really offer much protection when the person is sittings sideways to the direction of travel? I will probably install rear seatbelts anyway to ensure safety of my passengers, but I am just curious about the legal situation. Is there a particular way that I need to install seatbelts to be OK with the law?

Many thanks for any help with the above, sorry it's a bit longwinded. I've searched the Internet but have not found much categoric advice yet.

Ian.

96Discose7

Ian, I can not say for the UK, but as far as instalation goes, put the belt in the factory locations, and check with you insurance agent and also with any inspector for autos.... hope this helps
Cheers
-Andy

L

Landydan

Legally you still do not have to fit seatbelts to retro fit seats, however this will modify your vehicle and could invalidate your insurance unless you notify them. As for the safety aspect seatbelts will of course help to stop the passengers flying into you in the case of an accident. If it is safety you are most concerned about spend the extra and get forward facing seats and fit proper over the shoulder seatbelts

Moose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Of course, nothing on here should be seen as constituting legal advice, and nothing posted here can replace solid legal advice from an attorney practicing in the particular jurisdiction.

Etc., etc., etc. :biggrin:

O

oliwb

As far as I know, seats that were fitted to a vehicle without seatbelts originaly are exempt. However, fitting new seats would be the equivelant of fitting new seats therefor seatbelts would be required! This is true on older cars aswell that have new seats fitted. Oli.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflint2112