LR3 Brake Rotors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bluebird

Full Access Member
Reaction score
05 LR3 24K miles pads replaced @ 18K. I am thinking of purchasing this car from a dealer who says "you won't need to change the rotors until 50K.
I'm a little suspicious considering the truck has gone through pads so quickly.
The rotor are not smooth but not terribly gouged either and they have developed a "lip" on the outboard edge. I was going to ask the Dealer to measure the rotor thickness and note it on the 140 point inspection along with the worn out thickness.
Needless to say I'm not looking forward to paying 1.2 to 1.4K for brakes in 6 months to a year.
Comments?

Last edited:

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From what I have observed and heard online and in the shop, the rotors are regularly replaced within the first 25,000 miles. Not quite the ideal durablity, but you can't question their functionality. The truck does have great stopping power. Atlantic Brittish sells the pads and rotors quite a bit cheaper than your dealer might. Be sure to get the temperature sensors that must also be replaced when the rotors go.

Bluebird

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, I wonder if they will pass the 140 point certification check?
I guess its time to have a heart to heart with the dealer, new rotors or I'll pass on the deal.

I

Insider

LR3 Brake wear
If indeed, the dealer did state along the lines that "you will not need to change rotors", I would a) request this be put in writing(!), b) request to see the certification form and c) request status of rotor measurements to operating specs.
This info. should be forthcoming apart from 'a'
If it is not, you have alternative dealers.

Bluebird

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do dealers use the 80/20 rule? Must have 80% life left or must be replaced? To be Certified.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99