LR3 Navigation system Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

A

azzipt

Just joined this forum today after researching other forums and I've found this one to be more informative. I just purchased a 06' LR3, V6 with the SE package and cold weather package. I wanted the Nav system but for the $2,500, I opted not to.. $2,500 would equal $3,400 after the interest paid on it etc.. So I was wondering if
1) there is a aftermarket nav system that fit's the existing empty slot on my dash that would look like a factory installation or 2) if there's a site where i could purchase the nav system either from the DENCO manufacture or from someone whom removed it from there LR3 for whatever reason..
I have been looking but am unable to locate something. If I don't find anything I will make the sacrifice and spend the 2500 at the dealer..
On another note.. Just wanted to say that this is my 1st landrover and i love it, now I'm thinking of trading my wife's car in for another Rover for her..

anyway any help would be great.. Thanks.

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Retrofitting the "factory" Navigation system would be cost prohibitive and extremely complex. It is not generic. There really is a reason it is a factory only option. If you find a dealer technician brave enough to attempt this unsupported retrofit, you'll easily exceed $2500.

I've seen many 3rd party Navigation systems fitted on the LR3... at various levels of install. Go see a custom installer. You can get close to looking OEM and, in many cases, get a more advanced Navigation system.

A

azzipt

Thanks for your advise. I will look into those options..

Echoes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought my wife a Garmin and it is awesome. Voice direction, and you can get it for less than a G. Not to mention take it with you in other vehicles.

I actually like it better than the stock Land Rover Nav.

Check out Best Buy. They have some of the best models and deals.

J

jcegold

GOOD MOVE
If I had to do over I would opt out for there factory nav System. Just left an alpine dealer that is F1 RATED, The installer is going remove the touch screen and see if it will affect the rig. I sure hope this will work if it does then we will be installing a new touch screen with the blackbird or the Advanced DVD Navigation and xm. Yes land rover nav will get you in the general area however it seems to be a lot less accurate that my Denali nav system installed in my Duramax HD2500 and even the hertz never lost. Check out the alpine blackbird it will integrate with their stand alone touch screen and you can take it with you when you have to go out of town and rent a car.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Granted its my first in-car NAV, but I love it (the stock one). I don't use voice control and keep the prompts off, but I find it to be very accurate regarding position and directions. I also like all the Memory points I set. Everytime someone gives me directions to their house or I visit a new spot I'll return to...set a memory point, for easy return next time I'm there. Works Great! I'll also regularly turn "restaurants" ON when the wife and I are driving and want to look for the closest place to eat or get some fuel. Then turn them back off to avoid the clutter.

While I'm rambling - I like the 3D map mode as well. When I have two maps displayed, I keep the big map at 3D and the close-in map at 2D. (nice feature as well).

Hope you enjoy the after-market one as well. Maybe you won't have to hit "Agree" on a disclaimer every time you get in the car...

A

azzipt

well, I finally opted to go factory.. I called the service manager top set an appointment and to get accurate cost.. The factory installed system cost 2500 as a option.. Now if i want to install it.. it will cost around $5500.. Big differance.. he explained that the cost to mass produce is differant then to install it at the dealer.. I honestly feel like I was lied to.. The salesperson told me that it was 2500 whether I drive off the showroom with it or get it installed later.. So with all that said It seems I am looking at some aftermarket nav systems.. The apline is one that is cathing my eye.

L

lr305

I had a Garmin Street Pilot 2620. It works great on my other car 2002 Avalon, which had no factory GPS for the year. Comparing to LR3 factory GPS, the screen is much smaller (4" vs. 7"), and there is no "dead reckon" function on it since it is not connected with the vehicle driving system. I remembered one evening I went to a big city, the skyscrapers blocked the satellites and the system was completely comfused. I got lost since I did not bring the map and soly relied on the GPS. Certainly the price was so good, I got it brandnew from an auction site and paid $400.00 with no shipping vs. $2500.00. Anyway, That was my experience with the Garmin. After I purchased LR3, I sold the Garmin to my friend.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635