LR3 winter snow hill ice - what to choose???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
HDC is pretty useful if traction is very marginal, as you have described.

Here is my little How To: Start the car, put it in grass/gravel/snow, then shift to neutral, put it in low range, then first gear by going into Drive, then push the gearshift to the left and then downshift until you see "1" in the information display under the Speedometer. Now, release the parking brake and if you want, push the HDC button and only now put your foot on the gas enough to start to move, then go on about your descent.

Here is the hot tip: If you feel like you are going to fast, even in 1st with HDC on in Low Range, use the cruise control buttons on your steering wheel to slow down even more. If you are going too slow, use the cruise control buttons to speed up. The cruise control buttons adjust the rated of speed allowed by HDC. This is very handy.

Another tip: HDC works in Reverse gear too.

I predict that after a short period of time (perhaps a few trips), you might tire of HDC and just manually use your brakes. This is fine, and what most people with some seat time in the LR3 in off road conditions tend to do.

Going back up the driveway, you do NOT need low range or first gear, but the grass/gravel/snow will definitely be helpful.

As for tires, your stock tires are okay, for now. They will disappoint you, and if you have the budget to get something better, virtually ANYTHING will be better. Here is more info on tires: http://lr3tips.wordpress.com/2007031446-2/

Here is a fun little video:
YouTube - God Save LR3

I like this one too:
YouTube - Land Rover Discovery 3 / LR3 vs BMW M6

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My thoughts on HDC:

There were a few instances about 3 years ago in which I tried the set-up Nathan just described above (including HDC) and the instant the HDC engaged, a spin was induced. It was no coincidence. I tried the same and other hills with and without HDC and my conclusion was that since HDC uses a friction brake and not an engine brake, it can cause one or more of the tires to slide.

I still use it in Reverse. Reverse (even in 4-Lo) is not geared nearly as low as the FWD gears so HDC can help. Plus, it is not as aggressive in a higher gear. That brings me to my next point:

2 years ago on snowy hills I played around with gear selection and found that sometimes 1st gear combined with 4-Lo is simply TOO low and the LR3 can slide. There was a hill that I tried out in 4-Lo and 2nd gear (no HDC) and faired much better than in 1st. That hill had a run-out at the end so I could afford to carry the extra speed.

These tests are not all that conclusive because my issue with HDC could've been exacerbated by my selection of 1st gear. Maybe 2nd gear and HDC would've been perfectly fine.

...but my gut feel is just to turn it off in snow/ice. Period.

Off-road I used to turn it off because it was annoying. Now I leave it on because a gentleman on another board (Luis, aka "Jantiz" I believe it was) made a good point that if you are going down a hill and cross-axleing you don't want the wheels to gain sudden traction and then have your axle(s) get over-torqued. HDC would mitigate that, so now I use it.

west coast1

Reaction score
LR3 Winter woes

Now whoa up there I was just starting to get ready for my adrenaline adventure down my driveway and hopefully back up it again and already had in my mind what the setup should be which was pretty much at nathan (we have a son named nathan and he's usually right too damn it) and then we get back into the HDC on off on off 1st gear 2nd gear and yet one more time I wussed out. Now we are not only out of milk BUT BEEEEEER. And that gets quite serious. Its too far to walk so ................

Start her up
Put in Grass gravel snow setting
Get into Lo range and then...............
Yes maybe HDC and then.................
1st or 2nd or stay in drive ..................
AAARRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH

Then on the way back up assuming I am not wrapped around a friendly tree or down a gully I was going to just leave it in grass gravel snow and drive in reg Hi range ...................

I sense that migrane coming back and was so ready so ready to publish pics of the LR at the bottom and of course again at the top BUT NOW.................ummm HELP

You guys are amazing - the price of admission was really worth it.

Attachments

• Driveway.jpg
    Driveway.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 88

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nathan knows a lot about the LR3, but for what it's worth, he lives in Southern California. It doesn't snow a TON in Western Washington, but I've been in it plenty of times. Here are the givens:

1. 4-Lo
2. Grass/Gravel/Snow mode

Here are the options:

1. 1st gear (or 2nd) and no HDC
2. HDC on but put 'er in 2nd gear not 1st.

kingfishgrapeja

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The main thing is that you now have it down to two or three scenarios. Get familiar with switching between them and adjust if you get in trouble. That is the best you'll get without waiting for a thaw.

Didn't know that about the cruise buttons and HDC myself....I can't wait to mess around with that.

west coast1

Reaction score
LR3 Winter woes

You guys have gone above and beyond in you help, advice and just plain humor. Thanks so much - the driveway was duly negotiated today without a hitch, scratch or need for changed underwear. This forum is very good and frankly I feel so much better being able to ask what might appear stupid questions but who else to turn too............

So from clearing BC Canada may your wheels point straight and your HDC DSC get you where you want this festive season. Enjoy a cool yule and for my colleagues in SoCal I hope it snows like all hell and you get to really try out the LR3 ............course you did by the 4X4 version right.......?????

Take care and thanks again - I can now do it in style and safety

Bob

e24kgold

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome Bob,

This is a great forum and a great bunch of people and we always like to give a good natured ribbing. The land rover community (especially the lr3 community) is tight knit.
BTW all lr3's are 4wd!!!

We hope to see you on here a lot .
Eric

SoCal LR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You guys have gone above and beyond in you help, advice and just plain humor. Thanks so much - the driveway was duly negotiated today without a hitch, scratch or need for changed underwear. This forum is very good and frankly I feel so much better being able to ask what might appear stupid questions but who else to turn too............

So from clearing BC Canada may your wheels point straight and your HDC DSC get you where you want this festive season. Enjoy a cool yule and for my colleagues in SoCal I hope it snows like all hell and you get to really try out the LR3 ............course you did by the 4X4 version right.......?????

Take care and thanks again - I can now do it in style and safety

Bob

thanks bob. it was "cool" this morning- high 30s.

one of the perks of living down here is that when we want snow, it is only an hour or two away. here's a shot from last winter:
Snow.JPG

take care and be safe.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disco2TrailEdit4