LR3 Won't start!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rover junkie

Reaction score
I have an '05 LR3. I drove it all day on Monday, got in it Tuesday and when I tried to start it, it turned over about three times then clicked. Every time after that it just clicks real loud. New battery and it is fully charged. I can usually figure this stuff out but now I'm clueless. Anyone have any ideas?

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Probably the starter but ....

It is probably the starter but in the odd case, a new battery cracks internally and hence does not put out but may still show 12 volts. Also the alternator could have quit and is not charging the battery up.

I would suggest that you take the battery somewhere and get it load tested. That tends to show if the battery has internal problems.

Also if it is the battery and not the starter, you should beable to jump start your 3 from another vehicle.

Note that one is supposed to attach the jumper ground cable to the body or frame etc of your 3 and not to the negative post of the Land Rover starting battery. I do not know why but apparently it matters. It may have something to do with sort of taking the battery out of the starting circuit, particularly if the 3's starting battery is defective.

JackMac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Note that one is supposed to attach the jumper ground cable to the body or frame etc of your 3 and not to the negative post of the Land Rover starting battery. I do not know why but apparently it matters. It may have something to do with sort of taking the battery out of the starting circuit, particularly if the 3's starting battery is defective.
The recommendation to attached the negative lead on the dead car to the engine block is to prevent any spark. A discharged battery can leak hydrogen gas, which could be ignited by the spark.

This pdf shows the standard procedure: http://www.cartalk.com/content/features/roadside/jumpstart.pdf

socalrovershop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ive seen many cases where they ground cable from the body to the engine has
corrosion. causing a no start condition

JackMac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an '05 LR3. I drove it all day on Monday, got in it Tuesday and when I tried to start it, it turned over about three times then clicked. Every time after that it just clicks real loud. New battery and it is fully charged. I can usually figure this stuff out but now I'm clueless. Anyone have any ideas?
Could be a number of issues. I suspect that whatever killed off your old battery may now be impacting your new one as well. Possily the alternator is not sufficiently recharging, or there is a ground fault somewhere, potentially the starter soleniod. Can't really diagnose it remotely, you will need to have someone diagnose in person with the proper tools.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dimitricourmousis