Michigan Adventure Trip Report

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Moose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So here's the Michigan Adventure Trip Report.

Tonya and I left Milwaukee on Saturday (7/10) and drove to my parents' house in southwestern lower Michigan. We stayed the night, left the dog, and drove up along the lake to Silver Lake State Park near Hart, Michigan. We camped at the state park and relaxed.

Monday we awoke and drove over to the ORV Scramble Area. This is a large area in a giant set of sand dunes where street-legal ORV's and pretty much anything smaller can drive on the dunes. We had a blast, even though the Disco was weighed down with camping gear and at 6000-plus pounds is no lightweight under any circumstances!

We drove out of the park after about 4 hours and proceeded to a campsite in the Manistee National Forest, using some GPS waypoints I got a couple years ago from a guy while planning a camping trip around Lake Michigan. We stayed Monday night in a remote area with no one even close to us.

Tuesday we awoke early (6:00 a.m.) and drove back into Ludington to catch the SS Badger carferry. We loaded onto the boat and slept on and off on the 4-hour trip across Lake Michigan, before arriving in Manitowoc Wisconsin at about 11:00 local time. We drove up to the "Pipeline" trails about an hour north of Green Bay, and tried to do some wheeling. I say "try" because what is usually a 3 or 4 out of 10 was an absolute mess of deep puddles, muck, and no bypasses. Seeing as we were alone and without a winch we elected to abandon our plan of wheeling all afternoon and instead drove about 45 minutes west to Tonya's family cabin near Antigo. A hot shower (first since Sunday morning) and a real bed were just what the doctor ordered.

Wednesday through Monday we spent in the area near Cadott, Wisconsin, at a music festival. I have never consumed so many alcoholic beverages in a 4-day period as this (my liver hurts just thinking of it). We returned to Milwaukee Monday afternoon.

All told it was about 1000 miles. We had no mechanical issues and no real problems with the truck beyond the whole twisted key fiasco. I did realize this afternoon that my damned muffler came loose again but it should be an easy fix and given that we drove about 300 miles on the highway coming home I doubt it's related to wheeling.

I wish I had pictures. I do have a couple from the dunes area that I might scan in and post. Otherwise there are pictures out there...

Andy

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carbonlink