Mudflaps to catch rocks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chrisp

Reaction score
I've been towing an Airstream for about 6 months and it's been a ton of fun...other than the fact it gets dinged every 1500 miles or so by some tiny rock. I have Cooper LTZs on the LR4 which are awesome but love picking up the stray pebble or 4. Anyone have a good recommendation on a way to tame this? I check treads now anytime I set out, but it's not a bulletproof solution obviously. Thanks!

f1racer328

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have OEM rear mud flaps, and they do catch a lot of mud but not sure about rocks. I would assume they will help a little, but they don't hang down a huge amount.

Lgibson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You need the OEM rears for sure. The first time we drove on the sharp cracked gravel used here on rural roads towing our Cricket trailer behind, we were horrified to hear and see gravel hitting the trailer and bouncing back off the rear glass. We bought the OEM fronts as well to prevent gravel from piling onto the running boards. This was with the stock Conti’s.

Shorty

Reaction score
I have been running Tuff-Rok for several years and they have worked out great.

TacticalBeliever

Reaction score
Hi I tow an Airstream with Coopers and love to go to national parks but will cringe going on the pebbles and gravel roads. Stopping at Love's gas station it occur to me that I could buy one tractor trailer mud flap $15 , Black fender screws at auto part and cut 4 flaps out of it extra long for the back. No more nicks ! now traded to a 2022 Bambi still impeccable 90 days later.

Attachments

• IMG_2646.JPG
    IMG_2646.JPG
    198.6 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_2656.JPG
    IMG_2656.JPG
    123.4 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_2838.JPG
    IMG_2838.JPG
    127.8 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_2840.JPG
    IMG_2840.JPG
    176.1 KB · Views: 46

djkaosone

'11 LR4 HSE LUX 5.0L V8
Reaction score
Curious to know how stiff are those mud flaps? I wanted to do this, but the ones I've found were not flexible enough for me to climb over things without it ripping it off or causing other damage.

chrisp

Reaction score
Hi I tow an Airstream with Coopers and love to go to national parks but will cringe going on the pebbles and gravel roads. Stopping at Love's gas station it occur to me that I could buy one tractor trailer mud flap $15 , Black fender screws at auto part and cut 4 flaps out of it extra long for the back. No more nicks ! now traded to a 2022 Bambi still impeccable 90 days later.
Nice hack :) Did you have to drill new holes to mount these? I'm running the exact same tires. Cooper LTZ

TacticalBeliever

Reaction score
Curious to know how stiff are those mud flaps? I wanted to do this, but the ones I've found were not flexible enough for me to climb over things without it ripping it off or causing other damage.
Good blend of stiffness won't lift at highway speeds but curves easily on obstructure. even use them as curb feelers on driveways :)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72