New Tires, maybe new wheels?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

W

w6000

lacarruk1 said:
I just spoke to my dealer and they said the rims wont work on an LR3 HSE as the lugnut spots don't line up and the rims have tire pressure sensors which will not be compatible with the LR3. Sounds fishy....

Did your dealer do this for you? Did you need to use any type of adapter to make the rims fit?

Appreciate any help as I would like to do same.

I would do some investigating on your own. almost everything my dealer has told me has turned out to be wrong.

L

lacarruk1

w6000 said:
I would do some investigating on your own. almost everything my dealer has told me has turned out to be wrong.

Service says throwing the 20's on may void the warranty......

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
These dealers are awesome. The Range Rover Sport doesn't (yet) have tire pressure monitoring. So there shouldn't be sensors on the wheels or valve stems.

Anyway, I think someone is confusing Range Rover with Range Rover Sport. The wheels should fit. Obviously, it's not a "supported" option... since those wheels aren't offered as a "LR3 Kit Accessory." But it can't "void your warranty" unless it directly causes a failure.

A

AZSTALZ

I checked with my mechanic at Land Rover North Scottsdale, whom I've known since 1996 when I had my Defender, and he said the bolt pattern, spacing, and hub diameter opening are exactly the same as the LR3 rims. He mentioned the only difference is the steering dampener was increased on the Supercharged RRS to handle the 20 inch rims and lower-profile tires. The lugnuts line up perfectly and there are not any "tire pressure sensors". He did advise NOT to go with any wheel larger than 20 inch diameter and mentioned that they will not install anything larger than 20 inch diameter wheels at the dealer. --AZSTALZ

T

Tomasz

I am looking at 20" as well. Though trying to decide on either 255 or 285 width... anyone else done 285?

T

Tomasz

AZSTALZ said:
I just pulled the HSE 19's with Goodyear HP's and replaced them with a set of the 20 inch RR Sport Supercharged rims and put a set of General Tire Grabber UHP 275/45 R20s (Continental's NA brand) and the ride/handling actually improved substantially. Plus they look great... Gives the LR3 that concept car look back! AZSTALZ
Are you sure there is enough clearance for 275 width tire? Has your dealer OK'd that - or someone else you trust?

T

Tomasz

Can you contact me?

AZSTALZ said:
I checked with my mechanic at Land Rover North Scottsdale, whom I've known since 1996 when I had my Defender, and he said the bolt pattern, spacing, and hub diameter opening are exactly the same as the LR3 rims. He mentioned the only difference is the steering dampener was increased on the Supercharged RRS to handle the 20 inch rims and lower-profile tires. The lugnuts line up perfectly and there are not any "tire pressure sensors". He did advise NOT to go with any wheel larger than 20 inch diameter and mentioned that they will not install anything larger than 20 inch diameter wheels at the dealer. --AZSTALZ
You seem to be the only one running larger wheels. Can you tell me more about any rubbing issues? Is the car ready to accept 275 width tire?
Do you have more pictures? I am about to do the same thing you did (different rims), and I am looking to get some feedback.

Also, how do you like the tire? Is it quiet enough for you? They are pretty inexpensive, and that would be the way I would lean as well.

A

AZSTALZ

The 275 width tire fits no problem. We even checked the 286/60 R18 Nitto Terra Grapplers I put on the V6 rims for off-roading. Every height setting, we cranked the wheel left and right with plenty of clearance throughout all settings. The original tire mounted to the RRS Supercharged rim is a Continental 275/40 R20. I went with the General since it had the 45 aspect ratio and a much cooler looking tread pattern that extended over the edge a bit. The ride quality is better than the Good Year tires by far. --AZSTALZ

A

AZSTALZ

With the 285's I can barely get a finger in between the sidewall of the tire and the upper suspension support if I reach over the top of the front tires. The 295's might be cutting it too close??? Who told you the 295's would fit the D3/LR3 "perfectly"?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99