Newbie Owner Roof Rail/Rack question!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

countzen

Reaction score
Hey everybody!

I just picked up a new black on black 2012 lr4 hse on Halloween! :D (I think I clocked in all of 130 miles total so far)

Love it. Such a big jump up in quality, I don't know what to do. :biggrin:

Anyway, I had a question regarding Roof Racks and Rails. (Since I surf a lot-- which leads to the key/wetsuit question but I will hold off)

So currently there's nothing on the roof, and I was thinking about getting a aftermarket rails and cross bars. Is that possible?

Or is the best option to get OEM rails? If so, what's the difference between short and full?

Yakima's site seem to say that I don't even need rails to install the crossbars, that I can install to the 'attachment points' on a LR4, what the heck is that?

I saw this(Wind Tunnel Tests Whispbar, Thule and Yakima Roof Racks - YouTube and Thule - City Crash Test - YouTube) and really interested in the whisperbars by Yakima. Anyone has experience with it?

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think there are a couple options (including the one you mentioned) if you don't want to get the OEM roof rails. Your most versatile option is the OEM roof rails and then you can use various cross-rail systems - including some to hold your surf board.

I have the Voyager rack which bolts directly to the roof, no need for roof rails.

Sgrodz

Reaction score
Long roof rack looks great...yakima wHisp bars with the surf attachment complete the set-up. Up goes your favorite from the quiver and your ready to go. I have all of the above and I've been stoked so far.

countzen

Reaction score
Thanks for all the input! I think I will spend the extra few $100 and get the OEM.. Not sure if long or short, but I will see how it goes. :)

ougrad1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the input! I think I will spend the extra few $100 and get the OEM.. Not sure if long or short, but I will see how it goes. :)

I've got short rails on my black lr4 and like it better. The dealer accidently installed the long ones initially and I wasn't a big fan of how it looked. Too metro for me and looked like every other standard rails for Toyota, Nissan...etc. that said, I'm sure they are more funtional if you need the extra length of rail space.

obdoc

Reaction score
I got the OEM short rails on my LR4. Lots of capability. Got them installed at the dealer as I didn't want to mess with screwing up the roof glass. Debated different crossbar options and I went with OEM. I think they are made by Thule. I bought them new on eBay from a dealer in the midwest and they were MUCH cheaper than through the dealer and less expensive than buying Whispbar set. Compatible with lots of options. I bought a Yakima roof box and it installs without any problems.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM