octane rating

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

A

Amir

i know i know. this is a just a question for grommet and not an attempt to start a war again. Grommet, what level octane are you using for your LR3?

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
91 octane, the "recommended octane"... whenever possible. I tried 87 as an experiment twice and my MPG decreased ~2 MPG. I'm in Northern California, pretty close to sea level most of the time. In Denver and Colorado Springs, I was able to use lower octane without impact.

U

UnbrknCh8n

I live in Colorado (at an elevation of about 4700 feet) and I use hi octane. I tried the mid-octane gas, but (like Grommet) lost about 2 MPG. Given grommet's experience, perhaps I'll try it again (but saving $2 a fill-up really isn't that big of a deal, ya know?)

A

Amir

alright. but if 91 is not available then higher number is better then lower number, right? like 93 instead of 87 or 89.

Not worried about saving a few bucks. More concerned about, firstly, engine running up to its full specs, and second, getting more performance (but not at the expense of engine not running at its optimum).

Last edited by a moderator:
X

xcursion

The higher the octane, the cleaner it burns and therefore better for your engine. So if you can afford it, go for it.

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
xcursion, that's not exactly true... there is little advantage to using octane higher than what is needed. (In fact, using 91-93 in a vehicle that requires 87 may give you worse gas mileage.) But I'm not getting into another octane thread. Use search for that. :)

A

Amir

haha, i dreaded that.

But seriously, with respect to LR3's V8, if I can afford it, would 93 be better for my engine and would it give me better performance, even it is ever so slightly.

(BTW, only my name is Amir guys, I wish I was a real Amir with palaces, etc. :)

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
grommet said:
... I tried 87 as an experiment twice and my MPG decreased ~2 MPG. ...

Same thing happened to me. After hearing a lot of mixed reports on what octane you can use (one dealer telling a friend that you can use 87 as long as you don't hear engine knocks) I decided to try it for four tank fulls. I kept waiting for the MPG to go back up when the computer got used to the different fuel, but it never did. Dropped a solid 2 MPG and stayed there. So, I switched back... (but my MPG hasn't returned yet. ? )

In the end, the cost difference isn't worth it. If it cost me a couple hundred more over the course of the year, well, that's easily what I would pay in one shot if someone told me they could give me better MPG or engine performance. So...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72