Potential buyer - leather stain question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ucla95

Reaction score
I'm pretty close to pulling the trigger on a new LR4. In terms of interior color I'm leaning Tan but have some fear. I have young kids and I do wear jeans most weekends. Any thoughts in terms of color selection (and HSE vs LUX leather durability/stain resistance)? (i.e. does the Tan leather pick up stains from jeans or other stuff easily or is it pretty resistant?)
Thank you!

Rebel17

Reaction score
I've had my LR4 LUX with tan leather for about 3 months. I don't own any jeans, but my wife wears jeans most of the time. The leather seems very resilient to me.

crewcabrob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the tan color, I wear jeans almost every day and the seats never got stained from them. I had my LR4 Lux for a year and the seats looked practically new.

Rob

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the HSE leather and it seems really durable. My only issue was when I wore a belt, it did make a tiny brown stain. But, that's after several weeks of having the belt rub on the back of the seat until I noticed it. Good luck!

UGAgirl97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2011 HSE (non-LUX) and I am amazed at the durability of the leather. I am in workout clothes a lot and drive in it after runs (when I'm sweaty) and I have a toddler and a 10 year old and my leather still looks brand new! I love this dang car!! I literally have not even had to clean the seats at all yet.

baobay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had tan leather in the 2010 I traded and currently have tan in 2011 Lux. The leather in the lux is different but both are resistant to stains and I have had no issues. Have only had the lux for a couple of weeks, but had the 2010 HSE for 16 months with no issues. I like the tan interior because it gives a sense of roominess in my opinion.

still-one

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had my '11 LR4 for a year now and am constantly cleaning the "jeans" stains of the Tan seats. I should have waited to get a dark interior. I even had the dealer perform it the first time after less than 45 days.

bgsntth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would recommend using a good leather cleaner (wolfgangs, zymol, leather master) and leather masters protectant - on new leather. I would also wipe down the leather with a damp leather cloth (Griots green cloth), which if you are using the protectant, will take off the jean stains with a few gentle wipes. I also condition the leather every 2 months, as despite the leather being sprayed, I think it helps to keep it subtle and reduce cracking.

mateored

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We have a 2011 LUX with almond interior and I don't see any stains. Maybe we don't wear jeans that much?

I actually prefer the "rugged" leather that you get with the non-LUX trucks. I wish that were an option for the LUX. We go mountain biking, surfing, hiking, skiing, etc. and have 2 big dogs, and we all get dirty. This isn't just a mall cruiser.

Franky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an '11 Lux with the almond / arabica interior. I'm recently married with 2 early teen girls; between my wife and the 2 girls with their fancy super dark dyed jeans, it does stain the seat. Also, beware of wearing leather jackets. Oil from a dark jacket will transfer to the seats. I've noticed it on many makes and models. I use armor all multi-purpose cleaner on a micro fiber towel, and then wipe it down with a damp rag. I wouldn't recommend cleaning with the multi purpose cleaner, but its the fastest way to clean and keeps it looking brand new. Will it dry out the leather in the future? Maybe, but I only plan on keeping it until the warranty expires. Applying a conditioner afterwards will keep the leather nice and soft, and should also prevent the leather from drying out. It really isn't bad, more of a PITA if your a perfectionist.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99