Premium Gasoline

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

B

Beach

It's probably been mentioned before, but using other than premium gasoline can void your warranty. 20 cents/gallon? Not worth it to me.

askewed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My LR Service Manager told me to use 87. Said that was all they put in the trucks they fuel up.

FYi

Personally, I imagine that many automakers CEOs see some nice payola for putting those stickers on the inside of your fuel door...

Who knows...

W

w6000

It isn't like this is a formula one car. It is a Jag/ Ford engine. I really don't think it makes much of a difference between 87 or 91 octane. By saying "use premium gas" they are saying that this engine is special. It really seems like it's a marketing thing. I would like to see Land Rover try to void someones warrenty over this. No way they would win

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Uh, guys... an engine's compression ratio has much to do with minimum octane. It's not a "scam" to encourage higher cost fuel sales. Please!

M

mwillems

OK so it is not *needed*. But i sthere any benefit to using 94 Octane (R+M/2) Sunoco premium gas (as I do)?

askewed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
grommet said:
Uh, guys... an engine's compression ratio has much to do with minimum octane. It's not a "scam" to encourage higher cost fuel sales. Please!

Yes because oil companies would never do anything to cheat us, they're so honest like a ****** Girl Scout perhaps or a nun...

Octane is very important (just as you say) if I'm trying to go 1/4 mile in 7 seconds in my funny car. Not so much while taking my wife to the train station in my British SUV.

My opinion...

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
askewed, a lower compression ratio engine that doesn't require 91 octane fuel can be designed. The fact is, our V8 is specified to run at a higher compression and generally requires higher octane fuel to output the power you paid for. Feel free to put whatever you want in it, but it's not what the engineer has planned for.

Anyone is free to choose a vehicle with an engine that is designed for lower octane. For example, the forthcoming lower-cost V6 LR3 probably will only need 87.

D

disco1

While we are on the topic of octane, high/low compression engines etc, it will no doubt be a fact of life, that with the rapidly rising price of oil, the age of the V8 will become extinct (anyone remember the oil crises in the early 70's)? During that period, all major automobile manufacturers devoted all their time to producing 4 & 6 cylinder engines. So, while you have a V8, put the best fuel in it you can and enjoy!

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mwillems said:
OK so it is not *needed*. But is there any benefit to using 94 Octane (R+M/2) Sunoco premium gas (as I do)?
Using octane beyond the engine's requirement normally does little, and can possibly lower gas mileage and performance. Of course, there are many variables... including altitude & environment. You'd need to do your own tests. It may be beneficial for you

This mostly applies to people that use 91+ (or even 89) octane fuel on a lower compression 87 octane engines, which in most cases is a total waste. I've seen cases of 3 MPG less with the "better" higher octane fuel!

Last edited by a moderator:
M

mwillems

Well, I have always understood that higher is better (no limit) with electronically managed engines that can set their ignition point dynamically. If youy put in higher octane fuel, the engine continually adjusts and fires later to just before knocking and hence gets more power out of it without knocking.

Is that a misconception?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99