Rack & Accessories

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I ended up going with Urban Offroad for my new rack and ladder (he stocks the OEM Land Rover ladder - which in the end I like best). A big plus was that his racks are compatible with the full-length roof rails (which are standard on LR4s with the black design package). I also ordered new rock sliders/steps and will just leave my current set on my truck. My current rock slider/steps are nice, but just do not offer the extent of protection that the Urban Offroad sets offers. Plus, I am not entirely sure my sliders will fit the 2013 since it has the different air compressor. I think they made the change in 2012?

I will switch out my current skid plate, but will likely order the Asfir underbody kit as well. Another plus is that Derek at Urban Offroad is about 2.5 hours away from me and will install everything for free - saves a lot on freight and installation.

Here is a cool picture from his website of a Fuji White LR4 with the rack and ladder (so it will look similar to my ordered LR4):

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll be able to tell you about the Voyager sliders with step soon. Im putting them on my MY13.

Why do you say they don't offer as much protection?

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll be able to tell you about the Voyager sliders with step soon. Im putting them on my MY13.

Why do you say they don't offer as much protection?
Hey mbw,

I currently have the Voyager half-rack and ladder. I like the rack, it's very well built and nice that you do not need any roof rails. My apologies for the confusion, but I do not have Voyager rock sliders/steps. My skid plate and rock slider/steps came from GN Vehicle Protection. I love my skid plate, but my sliders don't really offer a tremendous amount of sill protection. I think the Voyager sliders are much better. I considered them, but I really like the ones from Urban Offroad because he has a separate sill unit and it goes further under the truck. Plus, his shop is about 2.5 hours from my town so he will install for free (saves a lot in freight costs). I also like how Urban Offroad has figured in the fact that the air compressor has changed since 2012 and the fitment is slightly different on 2012/2013 models. I don't know if that is an issue overall, or only because their sliders/sill guards fit a bit different?

Definitely let me know how the Voyager sliders work out for you - I know they are nice as I have seen them installed and look great - and offer much more protection than my current sliders.

-David

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey mbw,

I currently have the Voyager half-rack and ladder. I like the rack, it's very well built and nice that you do not need any roof rails. My apologies for the confusion, but I do not have Voyager rock sliders/steps. My skid plate and rock slider/steps came from GN Vehicle Protection. I love my skid plate, but my sliders don't really offer a tremendous amount of sill protection. I think the Voyager sliders are much better. I considered them, but I really like the ones from Urban Offroad because he has a separate sill unit and it goes further under the truck. Plus, his shop is about 2.5 hours from my town so he will install for free (saves a lot in freight costs). I also like how Urban Offroad has figured in the fact that the air compressor has changed since 2012 and the fitment is slightly different on 2012/2013 models. I don't know if that is an issue overall, or only because their sliders/sill guards fit a bit different?

Definitely let me know how the Voyager sliders work out for you - I know they are nice as I have seen them installed and look great - and offer much more protection than my current sliders.

-David

Oh, ok, Now I remember. Ya, I even asked Andy at Voyager about the underbody protection and extending the sliders inward to protect more. He didn't seem to think it was necessary and was concerned it would vibrate and make noise. I thought it looked like a nice idea. We should both post some good detailed photos once we have them so others can have more info when shopping. It is a little hard to shop for this stuff sometimes because the websites/photos/info available is limited (especially for someone like me that likes to devour information and get into details)

I can always add other protection later if I need to. It will probably be awhile before I get into an off road situation that needs more than the front skid/sliders, basic stuff that ill have.

I decided to wait on the rack for now. I still want to get one and I like the look of the Voyager full low profile one. I don't have roof rails, and it attaches at 8 points. I still am interested in your setup though. I may have to change my mind.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh, ok, Now I remember. Ya, I even asked Andy at Voyager about the underbody protection and extending the sliders inward to protect more. He didn't seem to think it was necessary and was concerned it would vibrate and make noise. I thought it looked like a nice idea. We should both post some good detailed photos once we have them so others can have more info when shopping. It is a little hard to shop for this stuff sometimes because the websites/photos/info available is limited (especially for someone like me that likes to devour information and get into details)

I can always add other protection later if I need to. It will probably be awhile before I get into an off road situation that needs more than the front skid/sliders, basic stuff that ill have.

I decided to wait on the rack for now. I still want to get one and I like the look of the Voyager full low profile one. I don't have roof rails, and it attaches at 8 points. I still am interested in your setup though. I may have to change my mind.
I completely agree, as I get a bit frustrated when I ask detailed questions and do not get much of a response. How has your communications with Andy been? I had a hard time getting responses. Definitely make sure your shipment is in good shape, etc. as I know some folks have had problems with freight damage and missing pieces. Also, take a close look at the powder coating, as I noticed a couple spots on my ladder that were not done well (to be honest, I would avoid the ladder completely - go with OEM!). I did not care for his hardware for bolting on the roof rack, so I got my own. But, overall, his racks are well-made and pretty nice - especially if you do not have the roof rack (nice that it mounts in 8 locations).

So far I have been very pleased with Derek at Urban Offroad and the fact that he is sort of local (2.5 hours away) is a HUGE plus for me.

I will definitely keep you posted and we can share our stories.

Good luck!

-David
-

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Communication has been good with voyager. Responsive to emails, even called me when I sent an email to order.

Shipping is a huge pain for anyone, especially when dealing with heavy products and freight. Can't really fault the guys fabricating this stuff.

I have a cargo barrier to pickup also, I think that is going to be a nice thing to have. I've already got the cargo pull cover and the loadspace protector (with the lip all the way around). Also have the rubber mat set. It is so much fun to get it dirty, I am having trouble justifying ever cleaning it since I end up in the mud a day later.

I took it to the range the other day. I shoot competitive pistol and we had a zombie cull. Had to drive down a twisty downhill rutted mud track to get there, so much fun! Mud ruts mode, saw my diff locks engaging (rear diff FTW). Driving back up was fun. The ruts were a foot deep in some places, she climbed right out.

Last edited:

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Communication has been good with voyager. Responsive to emails, even called me when I sent an email to order.

Shipping is a huge pain for anyone, especially when dealing with heavy products and freight. Can't really fault the guys fabricating this stuff.

I have a cargo barrier to pickup also, I think that is going to be a nice thing to have. I've already got the cargo pull cover and the loadspace protector (with the lip all the way around). Also have the rubber mat set. It is so much fun to get it dirty, I am having trouble justifying ever cleaning it since I end up in the mud a day later.

I took it to the range the other day. I shoot competitive pistol and we had a zombie cull. Had to drive down a twisty downhill rutted mud track to get there, so much fun! Mud ruts mode, saw my diff locks engaging (read diff FTW). Driving back up was fun. The ruts were a foot deep in some places, she climbed right out.
Sounds awesome! :) I actually kind of like my LR4 dirty! :)

I also have the cargo pull cover, load space protector, and matts. I will likely be taking these out of my current 2011 LR4 and switching them over to my 2013 when it arrives.

A zombie cull sounds like so much fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflint2112