Removing a stuck hitch receiver?

Discussion in 'LR3' started by toddjb122, May 7, 2010.

Car Parts
  1. tlt

tlt Full Access Member

This is coming soon, should be pretty nice.. PM me with your email address.

http://www. disco3. co.uk/gallery/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=11463&pos=0

2. toddjb122

toddjb122 Full Access Member

Can you put the plastic cover back on behind it so it looks less like a hack?

Don't get me wrong, functionally if it meets the same towing requirements, it is great. Makes sense to have it up there. Looks slapped on but maybe if had a black powdercoat or something it wouldn't stand out as much.

3. tlt

tlt Full Access Member

That's was the plan, but it will likely need some trimming due to the top attachment point. If it works out, perhaps a custom cover would be a solution.

The one pictured is the Beta, mainly for feedback.

4. steveC101

steveC101 Member

I thought I'd revive this old thread to add a small solution to the stuck hitch issue.

As has been mentioned before when left on for a while the hitch will seize up because of rust on the piston locking mechanism. Even when the hitch is unlocked and the green knob pulled outward to reveal the red underneath the rust will still prevent the knob being turned because knob is too small to provide any leverage to free up the piston.

I had the problem today and found the solution in my small collection of plumbing tools: a PVC wrench. Simply use it as designed to loosen and tighten a PVC pipe connector and the leverage on the knob is enough to free up the piston without damaging the knob

While the hitch is off you can spray a load of blaster into the lube hole then move in and out to get it into the mechanism.

Here's the wrench: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-12-in-PVC-Pliers-17PL0309/304217565

catman likes this.
  5. kels83

kels83 New Member

Edit: Looks like someone already posted this tip.

Original:
    The plastic hitch cover has ikea-like pictograms that show 1) key, 2) turn, 3) pull the green knob out towards the passenger (US) side. Are you doing #3? If the sticker fell off or if you tossed the cover there are pics on hitch covers for sale at ebay or I can probably take a picture.