Replacing/repairing BCU (Body Control Unit) on 2005 RR HSE

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

invisible

Reaction score
Recently 2005 RR HSE (140K miles, US version) developed a situation: after locking car with remote or with the key, when unlocking it (either remote or key) rear doors, fuel cap and/or tailgate remain locked.

Based on my research across forums, people point out towards the problem with BCU (Body Control Unit) that is located under the passenger door. The strongest indication that it is BCU is that resetting BCU using central lock/unlock button on the console - pressing it 6-10 times to lock unlock the door - fixes this problem. It also fixes stiff steering that was before. Now, steering will get stiff again, but it is another problem I am going to deal later by replacing power steering pump and the fluid.

I want to focus on resolving situation with BCU. There are number of them available for sale on Ebay but what people are saying that one has to reprogram used BCUs and one must buy the unit that matches the hardware and software versions from the current car, so I have to pull the unit and check these versions.

My questions to the audience:
  • Except buing the united from other RR, can the existing one be repaired/fixed? - What kind of question should I ask to sellers on Ebay to make sure that I am getting functional/working unit?
  • What could be other reliable sources/shops to buy used unit (in the US)?
  • Finally, if I get unit from another RR, what need to be done (reprogramming, etc) to make sure it will work with my vehicle?

Thanks

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM