Roof Rack with Full Rails?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Since I will be ordering a 2013 with the black design package (19" wheels), it comes with the full roof rails. This gets me thinking about roof rack options since I am planning to put a roof rack on almost immediately.

Does anyone know of a brand that works with the full roof racks? The Baja rack seems to need the short rails and then mounts to the roof in front:

http://www.bajarack.com/land-rover-4-standard

The Voyager rack (which I have now) bolts directly to the roof and does NOT need roof rails:

http://www.voyagerracks.com/DIIIVR.htm

Anyone know if I would be able to remove the roof rails?

Thanks, David

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am pretty sure I will need to remove the long roof rails to install the roof rack. I want the Voyager off-road challenge edition rack and you can't have the roof rails.

That's OK, I can sell the black long roof rails once my truck arrives.

NASdiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Removing the roof rails isn't a problem but you will likely need, unless they changed the design, the plastic bit that covers the section where the rails mount. I'm sure you can order it for a little $.

I suggest also taking a look at the urban offroad racks and talking to the guy. He made me a half rack, flat with no rails. Was exactly what I wanted. His rack works with the rails.

LR34

Reaction score
I suggest also taking a look at the urban offroad racks and talking to the guy. He made me a half rack, flat with no rails. Was exactly what I wanted. His rack works with the rails.

NAS -

I had previously seen that flat half rack on the Urban Offroad site (when I ordered a set of slider/steps). I like the idea of the flat rack because it does not add much height to the vehicle (about equal with sat antenna), offers more coverage and probably can handle more weight than crossbars and doesn't cost much more than LR crossbars or a Thule set up.

Does that rack cause any noticeable wind noise? From the inside does it block much of the rear sunroofs? Is the gap between rack (sides) and roof reasonable if weight is added (pic on UO website shows pic of full rack and gap looks small)?

Thanks.

NASdiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
NAS -

I had previously seen that flat half rack on the Urban Offroad site (when I ordered a set of slider/steps). I like the idea of the flat rack because it does not add much height to the vehicle (about equal with sat antenna), offers more coverage and probably can handle more weight than crossbars and doesn't cost much more than LR crossbars or a Thule set up.

Does that rack cause any noticeable wind noise? From the inside does it block much of the rear sunroofs? Is the gap between rack (sides) and roof reasonable if weight is added (pic on UO website shows pic of full rack and gap looks small)?

Thanks.

I don't have it mounted at the moment but I'll throw it up there tomorrow during the snow storm and take some pics. I had him make me a half rack for the rear section. No rails, just the cross bars. It fits very tightly to the roof line and rails. I had to make a few adjustments to the mounting to get a little more play in there but I can't really fault Urban for that. The real beauty of it is how minimal and lightweight it is. I can put the rack on in 5 minutes or less.

As far as the gap, the half rack has three mounting feet on each side inside the rails and Urban's system uses polybushes cut in half, as the spacer or buffer between the rack and rails yielding about an inch of gap between rack and rail. I've only loaded a few things on it to date and never noticed the rack flex at all. I'll use the blanket statement you probably don't want to hear, but I personally wouldn't load a ton of stuff on any rack on the LR4, given the glass roof, etc. Just doesn't seem as strong or allowing for a margin of error if say something slips on the rack or the rack is too heavy and causes the rails to put too much pressure around the glass. If you went with a full rack, having that extra mount outside of the moonroof (where the extend rails terminate) would help distribute more load. But I personally won't carry much above the roof, usually just wet stuff or maybe a tent (or lumber when doing less glamorous stuff). New England trees just don't appreciate a roof rack loaded down with stuff :biggrin:

LR34

Reaction score
I don't have it mounted at the moment but I'll throw it up there tomorrow during the snow storm and take some pics.

Looking forward to any feedback you have on the install, wind noise and fit. I just want something small and I like that rack better than crossbars. Thanks.

NASdiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking forward to any feedback you have on the install, wind noise and fit. I just want something small and I like that rack better than crossbars. Thanks.

Sorry 34, forgot to mention. I have not heard any wind noise coming from the half rack with no rails. I'll take some pics of the fit tomorrow for you.

NASdiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks! This is very helpful. If I want to keep the full rails on the 2013 black design pack, then it looks like these racks work:

http://www.urbanoffroad.us/index.ph...xodus-series-pre-runner-full-roof-rack-1.html

It says you need the full rails, so that works. I just want a big, bulky rack! :)

-David

Well David, as we say on the d-90 site, you need something for the ******* to cling to... :biggrin:

That rack in the pic looks like it's slightly on steroids. BUT I will say that Urban seems to build each rack as ordered which is great for folks like us who want different things. He's b=pretty accommodating.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nico3dd