Shake in Steering Wheel When Braking Around 50 - 55mph

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

angasreid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, when I hit my brakes anywhere between 55 and 50, my steering wheel begins to shake a bit. If I let up the brakes for a moment the shake eases up and goes away. I did just have the pads replaced and was prepared to replace the rotors too. Dealer said "your rotors look fine, just do the pads". So I said hey, that's good news.

So back to the issue, my LR3 has 80k miles on it, with probably 3k miles left of tread on the tires. I read online with other cars that it can be the steering wheel dampener? Maybe the bearings? Or the sliders on the calipers could be frozen? Then I also read that some people said a bubble in a tire?!? And of course maybe a warped rotor... shiet. I hope that's not the problem.

Then I searched on the LR World forums and found that those with D1s and D2s have issues called the "Death Rattle". Here you'll hear people talk about having the steering dampener replaced; some say that worked. Some say a swivel preload or perhaps the bushings are shot.

Anybody else experienced something like this? I suppose I'll try to diagnose it myself before a 45 mile ride to the dealer. What do you all think?

Last edited:

e24kgold

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the exact same thing, Replaced all tires, control arm bushings and ball joints and problem went away. I had all those things done at the same time so I dont know if just one of them would have cured the problem. Start with the tires

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Start with what makes more sense, it only shakes when braking so there is a better then average possibility that you have a warped rotor, time for brakes. Then replace your steering stabilizer with a Old Man Emu since it is not working any more. If you still have a problem then go for tire next.

CMGRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
D1 and D2's are entirely different, they are solid front axles.

I still think it's a warped or bad rotor. My Durango did the exact same thing, and once I got them returned with new pads, it was 100% gone.

bscmich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would definately think warped rotors. Very unusual not to replace them even if they "seem" ok.

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was does seem OK mean to you? To me the only way to check a rotor is removing it and putting it on a lathe. If there is any warpage when you inspect them off the vehicle then they have to be replaced cause as they get hotter from use, they warp more.

vladyshka13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like the rotors to me. But to find out and save some money you can take your rotors to the break shop to "cut" them (I'm not sure if this is the right terminology), this will take care of uneven surface, and install them back to your car. If shaking will be gone, you'll know you need new rotors, if not, next step would be the tires and you old rotors will be still god for a bit.

e24kgold

Full Access Member
Reaction score
while warped rotors seems like the easy answer, check the control arm bushings.

di_LR3_co

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have the shake in the steering wheel from 45 - 57ish mph.. been going on for about 13K miles across two different sets (manufacturers) and multiple road force balances.. its going in tomorrow

angasreid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks all for the replies. I will eventually get the thing looked at. I have a sneaky suspicion that it probably is the rotors, but I will be checking out the other things too.

di LR3, let me know what happens with your situation. Sounds a lot like mine. I like to be prepared for the amount of money I will need to spend ha!

Meanwhile, let's see what CMG did today.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99