Supercharger & Brembo Brakes. . .on LR3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

S

schafari

Ok, I am convinced that I will have the LR3 for some long time. I do a bit of trailering, and would like to upgrade brakes and torque. Has anyone heard about swapping in the RR Sports SC, Jaguar supercharger bits and reworking the LR3 4.4L V8 to accept the supercharger, and have the electronics and software to make it work? I know the SC is the 4.2L, but I am wondering if they simply messed with the head to get a lower compression for the SC. . . Any thoughts, experience on this?

Related, how about getting the RR Sport SC Brembo brakes, and swapping them into the LR3 HSE?

R

roverall

I looked into getting the brembo brakes. I think the quote was for around $6000.

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just curious... since LR3 already has an extremely good stopping distance, what would the intended purpose of a brake upgrade be? Any real justification, other than maybe bragging rights? I can't see turning LR3 into a track car. :D

Engine power... sure, understandable... but brakes?

Last edited by a moderator:
S

schafari

As in my post, the only reason I am looking to invest in more power and more stopping power, is that I tow a camper many many times a year. The bigger brakes with more swpept area, more even pressure across the pads due to multi-piston, and thicker rotors will likely lead to more consistent brake performance, less fade, etc.

I'll likely be pulling the trailer from Texas, through Denver, CO, and on to Seattle WA. . this summer. Then back again. That is four mountain ranges in all. Hurtling down all those high summit passes in the 6,000lb+ LR3, with a 6,000lb camper behind me makes me think a bit about upgrading the brakes.

Nothing to do with bragging rights. (How do I brag about a relativley slow 6Klb black brick anyhow. . .) Plus, if I increase power, I am a firm believer in also increase other areas of the car as approrpriate.

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok... I just haven't found the brakes lacking in any way, even towing heavy stuff around with my overweight monster. Remember, your trailer will have an electric brake, too. :-D

S

schafari

Actually, I love braking probably more than over the top horsepower. Braking distances are key, and you are right. . .finally Land Rover has good braking as measured by third parties. If I recall correclty, the Brembos give about 10' shorter stops. Not a big deal, but worth checking out if I need new pads/rotors, and I just have to replace the calipers to get the Brembo set up.

I am looking for the technical possibility of doing this. Will the Brembo rotors, calipers, and all assoiciated bits be a direct bolt on with the stock HSE 19" rims? It seems like technically it would. Maybe some hydralic line changes to?

I am looking for anyone who has some technical knowledge in this area, and would be much appreciative.

bLuLRIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
RIMS may be your issue. Check the clearance on the HSE 19"s

D

dry_fly

schafari,
You might want to look into having your LR3 wired for trailer brakes? I frequently towed horse trailers & boats with my Disco Series II, and will have my new LR3 wired as my Disco was. I never had any issues at all with the Disco Series II, and do not expect any issues with the LR3. If your Trailer is 6000 lbs I would be surprised if it were not set up for brakes?

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LR3 is wired for a brake controller, dry_fly... and once you add the tow electric kit, it's plug 'n' go.

I mentioned trailer brakes earlier in the thread, which is highly recommended for a big load... and probably a legal requirement in many states.

S

schafari

Yes, anything over about 1,500lbs has to have brakes. The LR3 wiring harness is great, and provides all that you need, except of course the brake controller and the brake controller harness. Luckily the LR3 uses a standard Ford F-150 brake controller socket under the dash. This allows you to use a pre-made harness that plugs right in.

I have the Prodigy brake controller and the pre-made harness. It works perfectly.

All in all, the LR3 has provend to be a surprisingly competent tow vehicle. But being in TX, it has not seen many hills. Going to the Rockies, Sierra Nevadas, and the Cascades, all in one trip. . .and then going back. . .well the better the brakes, the better.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635