Trailer hitch wiring aesthetic solution

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bash535i

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe I'm alone on this since I haven't seen a solution for it, but it seems that if we want to use the wiring to use a tow behind trailer, we have to go ugly by removing the rear bumper wiring connector panel. It would be much easier if there was a way to connect them without removing the panel.

Does anyone make a replacement panel that allows one to attach trailer wiring to the vehicle without having to go without the center bumper panel being removed? If not, it seems that someone with the ability to mold and sell one would have a market.

In line with that, it would seem that instead of having to use a coin or flat head screwdriver, there would be a tool-less plastic screw that could be turned to remove the panel.

What do you think?

PALR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just plug my towing electrics into the harness in the left rear and leave the whole thing in that compartment. When I need to tow something, I run a long UHaul extension out through the tailgate. It makes it easy to keep the tow electrics for my next LR4...

baobay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just plug my towing electrics into the harness in the left rear and leave the whole thing in that compartment. When I need to tow something, I run a long UHaul extension out through the tailgate. It makes it easy to keep the tow electrics for my next LR4...

??? Not quite sure I understand your setup.

bash535i

Full Access Member
Reaction score
??? Not quite sure I understand your setup.

I think instead of having the harness/outlet located next to the rear tow ring, he is just connecting it in the trunk compartment area, just behind the driver's side rear wheel well. With that setup, you never have to remove the panel that I originally referred to, but it's somewhat rigged or sloppy when you actually have to tow something, because you have cabling routed through between the tailgate and hatch.

PALR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think instead of having the harness/outlet located next to the rear tow ring, he is just connecting it in the trunk compartment area, just behind the driver's side rear wheel well. With that setup, you never have to remove the panel that I originally referred to, but it's somewhat rigged or sloppy when you actually have to tow something, because you have cabling routed through between the tailgate and hatch.

That"s exactly what I was talking about... I don't use my trailer that often, so it's not a big deal to run an extension out through the tailgate. It saves from having to tear the back of the truck apart to install the harness and it also keeps the electrics out the nasty weather. It also allows me to take the harness with me to my next LR4, or to sell it if I go back to a Full Size RR...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo